Dot name domains supportted?

dns

Unfortunately both a Google and Forum has not given me an answer.

I have a dot name domain (see https://www.nic.name) this is Verisign TLD.

The format of these domains is firstname.lastname.name. In my case craig.iedema.name. Despite appearances it is a proper domain it is own right.

When trying to register this with Cloudflare I get a Code 1099 as Cloudflare is assuming it is a sub domain of iedema.name. Which is how things function technically I guess, but not how things works in practice it is treated just like a .com domain (with registration fees to match).

So my question - does Cloudflare support .name domains and what is the best way forward?

Thanks,

Craig

Would that mean you dont own iedema.name but only craig.iedema.name? In that case iedema.name should be probably treated like co.uk.

Hmmmm

Correct. .name has some really weird ideas about how to assign names, but unfortunately they’re not consistent.

Subdomains of name may be registered at the second-level (john.name) and the third-level (john.doe.name). It is also possible to register an e-mail address of the form [email protected]. Such a registration may require another address as destination. The second-level domain of third-level subdomains is shared, and may not be registered by individuals.

Yes my domain is craig.iedema.name, but my email address is craig (a) edema.name which is forwarded to whatever I like.

The registry looks after craig.iedema.name, but nic.name looks after the email forwarding.

It is doable as john.jones.name dns records are looked after by Cloudflare. But how is another matter.

From the way it reads it seems a tad confusing. So, does this mean certain “name” are pre-registered by the registry a the second level (like .co for .uk, for example) and the rest is up for grabs? How did they decide which names to pre-register in this case?

And most importantly, is there a list of the names “beloging” to the registry? If yes, it should be probably easy to recognise these names as officials SLDs, just like co.uk. If not, it might be tricky to support that.

So basically they let you register a domain under their SLD iedema.name and also provide you with an email forwarder on that SLD with the same name?

[quote=“sandro, post:5, topic:19621”]
From the way it reads it seems a tad confusing. So, does this mean certain “name” are pre-registered by the registry a the second level (like .co for .uk, for example) and the rest is up for grabs? [/quote]

Yes this correct

That is a good question. Initially you could only register at the 3rd level, later at the 2nd or 3rd. There is a bunch not available at the 2nd (including mine - which I can’t have even though I am only one using iedema.name).

Yep - Verisign does this and the registar can update it. So the email is received at mx01.nic.name - mx04.nic.name and forwarded on as I desire.

Interesting concept :slight_smile:
I wonder how they decide if an SLD is available privately or shared.

Do they offer a list of all publicly shared SLDs?

That would be nice to know - I’d like iedema.name for myself.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.