Domain Transferred to CF De-Activated, Website Replaced by Advertising

Opened a ticket but still no response from the support team.

@kunal10002003 Yeah, it will take a day or two but, once they understand what the problem is, the fix only takes around an hour. @Judge is correct that only Cloudflare support can fix this - make sure you made that clear in your ticket or they will presume your domain is still controlled by Godaddy.

I did mention, in my support ticket, that you had the same problem - I gave them the name of your domain and your username here - but I presume they considered the problem solved once they fixed my instance of it. I think, if I was on the Registrar team, and had been made aware that this error was even possible, I would approach it proactively and search for any more CF-registered domains that are inactive within CF. I would worry that this error might be more widespread, and would not wait for individual customers to complain. It is a seriously fundamental error for any registrar to have.

thank you @imappoet, for your suggestion, I opened a ticket now and as usual, got the same cut and paste response from the support team, they are least bothered to look into my ongoing issue, i am not even able to reach them over the phone. this the worst support team i have ever come across. they don’t even come to realize that once the domain is transferred to a different registrar the previous registrar won’t have any control over it and won’t be able to change the nameservers from their end, now i am struck in nowhere and unable to get my domain back. I want the EPP code and want to transfer my domain to my current host. i am done with this.

@kunal10002003 - don’t get stressed, your problem will be fixed, you just have to accept that the Registrar service is a loss-leader that Cloudflare do not make any money on, so, although you are paying money, they view it as one of their free services and the support you receive is the same they provide for their other free services.

Write another ticket, but keep it as simple and clear as possible, and avoid expressing your (entirely understandable) frustration. Perhaps write something along the lines of:

System Error: Cloudflare-Registered Domain Declares Incorrect Name Servers

The domain deception52.com was successfully transferred to Cloudflare Registrar but, now, there has been a system error and the name servers have reverted to non-Cloudflare name servers, rendering the domain non-fuctional. The solution is for someone at Cloudflare to change them back to Cloudflare-operated name servers.

PLEASE NOTE:

1. To function, Cloudflare-registered domains MUST have Cloudflare-operated name servers.

2. To transfer to Cloudflare, all domains MUST declare Cloudflare-operated name servers.

3. Once transferred, users have NO ABILITY to edit name servers. In theory, all CF-registered domains should permanently point to Cloudflare-operated name servers.

Therefore, it appears that your system has an error whereby, in some cases, the name servers spontaneously revert to non-Cloudflare name servers, rendering the domain non-functional. This has happened to the domains of other Cloudflare Registrar users (Domain Transferred to CF De-Activated, Website Replaced by Advertising).

THE SOLUTION: someone at Cloudflare must edit the name servers, returning them to the required Cloudflare operated name servers. As registrar, Cloudflare have sole access to the domain record, this has nothing to do with the previous registrar, this is a Cloudflare system error, and can only be corrected by someone at Cloudflare.

Please note this matter is urgent, as my website has now been down for over a week.

I appreciate your help,

Kunil

I believe the most often cause of this is the old registrar changing the nameservers back to some default value before the transfer completes, usually due to their system still performing “this domain is expiring, we’ll revert DNS control back to us”. Yes, only CF support can fix this by changing the nameservers to the correct CF ones.

I agree that this is what appears to be happening but I don’t understand how they are doing it. Once the transfer is complete, the central registry should not accept ANY orders regarding that domain from the old registrar. In my case, the domain had been happily sitting in CF Registrar, with the correct CF name servers, for around a week. If it is possible for the old registry to trigger changes, that is one ■■■■ of a backdoor … I mean, the old registry might even be able to trigger a domain deletion.

I think Cloudflare are making a strategic mistake by not taking this error more seriously and at least investigating it.

On one hand, if the error is happening because their system is failing to confirm full control of domains transferred to them, they are wide open to financial liability and reputation damage.

On the other hand, the situation could end up drawing ICANN’s attention to the fact that Cloudflare are denying their customers the ability to edit their own name servers, which is directly against ICANN’s rules, there is no gray area about that. It would not be the biggest surprise in the world if ICANN used this as grounds to remove Cloudflare’s accreditation, there are certainly a lot of vested interests, who have decades-long relationships with the ICANN board, who would be delighted to see this at-cost experiment go down in flames. Again, if Cloudflare has to arrange the emergency transfer of thousands of disappointed customers to other registrars, the reputation damage to Cloudflare as a whole would be severe.

just got this reply from the Cloudflare support team.

" Cloudflare Support Team (Cloudflare)

Mar 1, 11:59 AM PST

Hi there,

Thanks for writing to Cloudflare Support.

A 1049 error indicates one of the following:

• The domain isn’t registered
  • The domain has no nameservers
  • The domain nameservers can’t be resolved
  • The domain nameservers don’t contain any DNS records

You can use the following website to test if there are any nameservers resolving for your zone. If you enter your domain name and click on the Dig button, this should show you the nameservers for your domain.

Can you please contact your registrar if you are not able to resolve the domain here. Can you try and add the domain again on Cloudflare after being able to resolve your nameservers. If you are still unable to add the domain in question, can you reply back and provide the domain name so that we can take a closer look at this issue for you?

This is an automated response which we hope has answered your question. If you need further assistance, simply reply to this email to reach a Cloudflare Technical Support Engineer. Please note that it will likely take a few days before we can respond to your ticket through here; you may receive faster support by using our Help Center, Community forums or by upgrading your zone to a paid plan and then resubmitting your ticket to receive priority support.

Search the Cloudflare Community for advice and insight."

@kunal10002003

Yeah, they are not bothering to read your entire ticket and are jumping to the wrong conclusion. That is pretty sloppy, but it happens a lot with inexperienced support staff.

Try pasting in the text I suggested, it will make it harder for them to misunderstand what the actual problem is.

Do that and, then, just wait, it might be a while before they respond again but, when they do, I expect they will have understood and the problem will have been corrected.

@imappoet i have copied the same message that you typed in and sent it to them, and after that this is the response i get from them. this is really non-professional and unethical in Cloudflare’s end, i have never expected this from a reputed registrar like Cloudflare.

Hmmmm, that is surprising.

Try this:

None of the information in what you pasted applies to this problem.

YOU are the domain’s registrar.

From the domain’s WHOIS record:

Registrar: Cloudflare, Inc.

Only someone at Cloudflare can edit the name servers. Cloudflare users do not have the ability to do this.

The domain will remain non-functional until that happens.

This is a KNOWN ERROR that has already been corrected in this way.

@imappoet i received the same response from the support team again.

" " Cloudflare Support Team (Cloudflare)

Mar 1, 11:59 AM PST

Hi there,

A 1049 error indicates one of the following:

• The domain isn’t registered
  • The domain has no nameservers
  • The domain nameservers can’t be resolved
  • The domain nameservers don’t contain any DNS records

You can use the following website to test if there are any nameservers resolving for your zone. If you enter your domain name and click on the Dig button, this should show you the nameservers for your domain.

Can you please contact your registrar if you are not able to resolve the domain here. Can you try and add the domain again on Cloudflare after being able to resolve your nameservers. If you are still unable to add the domain in question, can you reply back and provide the domain name so that we can take a closer look at this issue for you?

This is an automated response which we hope has answered your question. If you need further assistance, simply reply to this email to reach a Cloudflare Technical Support Engineer. Please note that it will likely take a few days before we can respond to your ticket through here; you may receive faster support by using our Help Center, Community forums or by upgrading your zone to a paid plan and then resubmitting your ticket to receive priority support.

Search the Cloudflare Community for advice and insight."

Seeing as there is no human name, this is the automated reply bot that is used to help deal with fairly obvious cases. In this instance, the bot simply parsed your message again and determined the same issue.

If you haven’t already, post the ticket number here so it can be bumped to human support.

Wow. Try this:

You say: “Please contact your registrar”

Cloudflare IS my registrar, that is the whole problem.

Again, from the domain’s WHOIS record:

Registrar: Cloudflare, Inc.

Please stop pasting the same irrelevant information to me. This is a KNOWN Cloudflare REGISTRAR SYSTEM ERROR. The solution is for someone there to change the domain’s name servers to the appropriate Cloudflare-operated name servers. This solution works. It has worked for other Cloudflare Registrar users who have encountered the same error this week.

here are the list of ticket numbers:-

I did not know they relied so heavily on that sort of parsing. So, for certain categories of problem, such as this error, it is not really possible to get support unless you also post in the forum. That is worrying.

@imappoet @Judge this is what I get as a reply from the Cloudflare support team. I am speechless by their intelligence.

" Hi there,

If you would like to add or create a DNS record, we would advise that review the following link that shows all of our support articles relating to DNS records.

DNS Records Showing Wrong IPs or Not Updating

When Cloudflare is enabled on your site and DNS records are orange clouded you will see Cloudflare IPs being returned for your site. This is how we protect your site from attackers as we are a reverse proxy. Rest assured your visitor’s requests are being directed to your origin server set at Cloudflare.com > DNS.

If you are unsure you can always turn off this protection by gray clouding the appropriate DNS record:

Do be aware that if you are expecting a CNAME record after gray clouding you’ll need to ensure CNAME flattening is turned off:

Further Questions

If you are not sure about DNS records, you can get the appropriate records from your web hosting account, and/or by contacting your hosting provider.

If you fail to correctly set-up DNS records for your (sub)domain, you may encounter a ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED error.

If you are requesting support for a DNS type that isn’t covered by these support articles, please reply back to this email and we will get back to you shortly.

Please note that Cloudflare support can’t add or edit DNS records on your account for security reasons.

Search the Cloudflare Community for advice and insight"

Please post the ticket number. cc @cloonan

Hi @kunal10002003, the 3 tickets above (and most of the 3 or 4 other ones) have been merged into 1649585 to save the support team time. Multiple tickets slow the process, cause additional work, fork conversations and cause confusion.

I flagged 1649585 for assistance and will keep an eye on it.

The message itself says it’s an automated response that may not be the proper answer to your specific question. And asks you to reply to the email to reach Support.

I’ve received this kind of message, and it is annoying that they wouldn’t start the message by revealing its automated nature upfront.

Instead, the quoted bit comes several paragraphs down the text. So if the automated message is wrong, you’ve wasted your time trying to figure out why you are getting this kind of response in the first place, and how to reply to it, until you (hopefully) come accross the quoted text to have a “ha” moment, realizing you are dealing with a bot.

This is a bad user experience in my opinion, and Cloudflare should consider re-arranging the automated reply template to make it clear to us readers that it’s a best guess of a bot we are about to read.

1 Like

@cloonan may i know how long could it take for my issue to get resolved? As it has been almost 7 days since my website is down.