Domain registered via cloudflare registrar missing nameservers

I have registered a new domain with Cloudflares registrar but more than a day later the domain shows up in whois but has no nameservers rendering the domain useless.

# nslookup -type=NS domain 1.1.1.1
Server: 1.1.1.1
Address: 1.1.1.1:53

** server can't find domain: NXDOMAIN

# nslookup -type=NS domain 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8:53

** server can't find domain: NXDOMAIN

I have tried contactig support as this regards a purchase. As I am on the free plan (even when purchasing a domain via the registrar) I have to ask here; what can I or Cloudflare do to get the domain up and running?

Cheers!

What is the domain name?

1 Like

Unfortunately all dns check tools notify NXDOMAIN, even with Cloudflares DNS servers. There is something wrong with the domain registration. The link you gave is not helpful as it’s not a local issue.

Tried with NSLOOKUP with 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, fails. Tools like Dig (DNS lookup) and https://dnschecker.org/ all fail.

Cloudflare support redirects me to community support as apparently buying a domain via Cloudflare doesn’t get you support on your purchase :upside_down_face:

Scratch what I said above, checking out this community tip!

1 Like

Thanks!

Looking at 1. The domain is not pointed to Cloudflare name servers. Contact your domain registrar and ask that they point the domain to your Cloudflare nameservers. is something I tried to do, to no avail.

2. DNS propagation needs some time, wait for recent changes to take effect. it’s been 30 hours since registration; should be propagated by now

3. There is no subdomain configured in your DNS settings or the orgin IP address that was specfied in your DNS tab is incorrect. Does this mean that the first A-record (@) cannot be empty?

4. If example.com does not resolve, that may indicate there is no A record for the naked domain. Go to your DNS tab and create an A record with “@” as name and your origin IP address as the value. this was not set, setting now. Would this result on even an nslookup for nameservvers fail?

Cheers

False, it can take up to 48-72 hours for complete promulgation of the DNS! Try again in 18 hours!

Yes, there MUST be an A, AAAA, or CNAME record

1 Like

Thanks! Will wait a bit longer; in my experience it’s usually faster :grinning:

1 Like

The domain does not resolve because of this status:

Domain Status: serverhold https://icann.org/epp#serverhold

This may mean the domain has been suspended or it could just be that something is broken. Have you had any emails from Cloudflare Trust & Safety about it?

This is not correct, anyone with a Registrar domain should be able to open a ticket in the dashboard, make sure you select Registrar as the ticket type. Login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help.

Please post your ticket number here.

3 Likes

Hi domjh; thanks for your reply.

No, I haven’t gotten emails about the domain being suspended.
I also created a ticket before; where they redirected me to the community; ticket number is #2390191

Cheers!

I’ve escalated that ticket.

4 Likes

Thanks @domjh! Really curious why my newly registered domain is suspended…

1 Like

Ah it did have some CNAME records for DMARC, and MX record and a TXT record, I assume that is not enough? Still doesn’t explain why it’s suspended; awaiting the ticket now.

Thank you all!

1 Like

@domjh Is there any update as the domain still doesn’t work and no response on the ticket yet?

I’m afraid not. I asked someone to look at it but it’s still in the queue and has no update here. Unfortunately the community escalations are very low priority over the weekend and it’s likely to not get a response until Monday. Really sorry, there’s nothing I can do about that.

3 Likes

Thanks domjh; quite ridiculous if you ask me as this shouldn’t be a community request in the first place as I bought the domain via cloudlare and should be entitled to support via the ticket system.

But thank you very much for your reply and actions, I know that’s all you can do for me now :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, I’m not sure why that’s not the case. Did you open the ticket through the dashboard and select Registrar as the option there?

If you did, can you try replying to the autoresponse and see if that reopens it?

1 Like

Yes I did, it even says Registrar Dash Ticket - in the title. Should I create a new ticket?

I did reply to the autoresponse and it did reopen it, Ulrik replied that I am not supposed to get support this way and directed me to the community and marked it as Solved.
I replied to that again and it did reopen the ticket.

Sorry for the late reply but the forum came up with the warning I can not post too much on my first day :neutral_face:

As far as I am aware that should not have happened and I’ll ask someone to look into this on Monday.

With regards to this ticket, please reply and link to this thread telling them that a Community MVP has directed you there as this is a Registrar issue that we cannot further troubleshoot on the community. If you get more push back there let me know and I’ll escalate this further.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble this has become, it should not be this difficult.

2 Likes

Thanks @domjh, much appreciated.
Just in case I had created a new ticket this morning (since I couldn’t post) and explained thoroughly that it’s a registrar issue and the status of the domain is wrong (#2391132).

Guess I’ll seen on Monday; wish you a very good weekend!

1 Like

I’ll add that ticket to the escalation notes for reference, thanks - hope you have a good weekend and get this resolved soon!

2 Likes