Domain not working after domain transfer to cloudflare

I transferred my domain to Cloudflare a few months back from namescheap, everything worked fine, and now suddenly it doesn’t. On my cf dashboard it now says "[Pending Nameserver Update]"

I haven’t done any changes to the DNS settings or anything to do with DNS for the past few weeks. The Domain is set to expire in 2032.

Also when I visit the “Buy domains” —> “Manage Domains” on Cloudflare it shows my site as being active, auto-renew active, I am guessing this means Cloudflare is my domain registrar now.

Your domain currently has the pendingDelete and redemptionPeriod statuses on it. The nameservers associated to your domain (i.e are answering but the root nameservers for the .com zone don’t have you listed anymore.

Have you only just recently renewed the domain?


; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.68.rc1.el6_10.8 <<>> +additional
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 36836
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;			IN	A


.com root

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.68.rc1.el6_10.8 <<>> NS +additional
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 64405
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;			IN	NS

com.			900	IN	SOA 1654020130 1800 900 604800 86400

I don’t think I did any renewal. I can see Cloudflare has refunded my card 2 times(40.46 CAD and 11.57CAD) on the 26th of may. I have no idea why though.

Cloudflare has charged me before 41.39 CAD on 26th of April and 11.65CAD on April 16th.

I am so confused right now.

CF fixed this issue, because I complained on HN ( Ask HN: Has Cloudflare blocked your domain without explaining what's going on? | Hacker News ) turns out it was their issue. Hopefully more information about this will become available.

I must say, this whole incident has left me wondering if I should even use and recommend cf anymore.

1 Like

Chasing it up with the Trust and Safety team that you’re in touch with will be the best option.

The community, or even the support team, don’t have any insight into Trust & Safety’s cases - especially ones like this. It’s almost like a black box, understandably.

Cloudflare marked my domain as PENDING DELETE. So from what I have read in the past few mins my only option was to buy the domain the moment it gets released through another registrar and hope no one else snatches it.

To clarify, the redemption period is 30 days - it is highly unlikely that you wouldn’t have got this issue resolved or clarified within that 30 day redemption period. After this, it would then go into a pending delete phase for 5 days.

These are time frames mandated by ICANN that all registrars will abide by. Whilst the domain being “frozen” is definitely not a situation that you want to be in, it’s in-line with any registrar’s processes where anything that causes them to (temporarily or permanently) stop doing business with you would result in the domain being in that state for a pre-determined amount of time.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

the part that worries me is how rude, and not caring the reply was from the trust and safety team.
the following is the message I first received from them before I posted my issue to HN.

David N. (Cloudflare Trust & Safety)

May 31, 2022, 12:07 PM PDT


Your account violated our terms of service specifically fraud. The suspension is permanent and we will not be making changes on our end.

Cloudflare Trust & Safety

So I don’t believe if HN was not involved if this issued would actually get solved. My domain was at risk from the very people who promised to protect it.

1 Like

I 100% agree with you - I was just trying to provide some clarity around why it affected your domain specifically.

The usual ‘fraud’ closure of an account would usually prompt you to change nameservers to another provider and ‘be on your way’ so to speak but the fraud detection prompted your renewal to be refunded - so it’s back to as if your domain was never renewed.

That kicks it straight into the expected redemptionPeriod and pendingDelete phases which freeze the domain for ~35 days unless you can redeem it at your existing registrar - which in this scenario, you wasn’t able to do.

It’s somewhat similar to the ~60 day lock when you transfer to a new registrar and it’s something imposed (or perhaps highly recommended, I’m not sure if they’re bound to it contractually) by ICANN and the vast majority of registrars are compelled to follow these timelines.

I guess it’s more-so that aside from why the domain went into an ‘unrenewed’ state, this is the state that the domain would end up in regardless if it was Cloudflare you had the domain with or not.

It looks like Justin reached out to you on HN so continuing the dialogue with him will get you the best answer. Even the customer support agents who frequent the community wouldn’t be able to view the details of your case.

I can see where the transition from “this won’t be overturned” to “this was a mistake and will be overturned” can be jarring to experience, especially whilst you’re locked out of your domain, and I’d recommend making sure that those concerns are heard by the T&S team through your case with them.