Domain not pointing to another URL

Hello,

New to Cloudflare, I followed the instructions to have new domain name point to another URL, it’s been about 3 days now, and still doesn’t work. I bought the domain name last week, and Cloudflare shows my domain name as active - but it’s not working.

On Bing I get this error message:

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

On Brave I get this error message:

This site can’t be reached

DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.

DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE

Any idea how to fix? Thank you! :slight_smile:

Should we guess the domain? :slight_smile:

Oops! Sorry. :slight_smile: It’s CatScratchArt (dot) com

You don’t have any DNS entries set up, so the message is accurate. You need to contact your host and clarify what you need to configure.

It’s a storefront/pop-up by Printify, I they’re not a hosting company. I can see if they will give me that info, but I am not sure how that works.

If they host your site, they are your host. I am afraid only they can tell you what you need to configure. Once you have the information you can configure it on the DNS screen or also import the settings file, if they provided you with such one. Please refer to Tutorial for more details.

So there’s nothing I need to add/edit on the Cloudflare side (or in my control panel)? I need to have Printify help me, and get info from them?

You do need to configure the DNS entries on Cloudflare, but you first need to your host to provide that.

Ok, thank you! I will contact Printify to get DNS info, and then I just come back here to my control panel and add the DNS there? Sorry for so many questions, but I am new to all this, and I have never done this before. So I thank you for your help and patience. :slight_smile:

That is correct. Once they told you the required DNS entries, you simply configure them on Cloudflare

Configure them initially as :grey: so they connect directly to them and you can verify that everything loads fine on HTTPS. Once everything works, you can switch to :orange: if you want.

If they provide a file, you can also import it - Import and export records · Cloudflare DNS docs

1 Like

Great! Thank you again, I’ll give this a try and see how it goes. Have a good night (or day depending on your location). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, you too :slight_smile:

Hello again, Ok so I figured out how to setup the A - and it is working. But the CNAME for www is not working and I keep getting; Error 1000 DNS points to prohibited IP

Any suggestions? Thank you! :slight_smile:

Is the CNAME :orange: or :grey:? If it is :orange:, set it to :grey:.

Thank you! I had it set to Proxy on, just turned it off per your message. Do I keep my A setting on or off? As I have it set to off.

Oh! And I forgot to also ask, do I need both IP’s setup (2 A’s)? As I do have 2 IP addresses from Printify. Also, how long does it take for the CNAME to show as working? As my A IP setup worked almost immediately, but the www CNAME still not working.

Thank you in advance for your time. :slight_smile:

I am not sure why any of your names are working. You have unproxied hostnames pointed at Cloudflare proxy IPs. That should not work.

The CNAME still isn’t since turning off the Proxy. The A setting, maybe that is working because I had the Proxy set to on, and then thought I needed to also turn that off in order for the CNAME to work - and maybe it hasn’t updated through Cloudflare yet, and still shows A as on for Proxy? I don’t know, just a guess.

So if I am supposed to have the A on, I’ll go turn that back on. How long before the CNAME works for the www as it’s still giving me the Error 1000, and I do have it turned off now.

I don’t expect anything to work as long as you are pointing to Cloudflare IPs. Set that way, the only thing you should see is an Error 1000. How were you given the IP that you are using?

I found the 2 IPs for Printify from a couple of other Pop-Up store owners, both had the same IPs setup. Which works, so that is why I input those properties when I set up A.

I originally had both A IPs setup (with Proxy on), 2 AAAA setup with the codes for that, and had setup the CNAME with everything Proxy on.

When CNAME wasn’t working and I kept getting the 1000 error, I thought maybe I had too much going on. So I removed both AAAAs, and 1 of the A - so that just the 1 A IP and 1 CNAME were displayed.

I had Proxy on for both the 1 A and the CNAME - domain works without the www but not with the www - that’s when I get the 1000 error.