Domain name suspended buy unable to renew

I just got the notice of suspension for a domain name purchased and parked at Cloudflare. As expected, I was also told I could renew it before deletion as I have done in the past with other domains parked at Cloudflare. According to Cloudflare’s records the deletion should take place on Wed, Dec 27th, 2023. However, when I logged into my account to renew the domain name I realised that domain name is no longer in my account. Yesterday I sent a query but haven’t yet received any reply. I expect to receive a reply within 48 hours as I am aware I am not entitled to urgent support because I am under a free plan.

A short while ago I noticed that now we can restore a domain name which has gone into Redemption Period. However, this is not the case of the domain name I am referring to as it has not yet reached the 40 days after expiry date. I find it very strange because Cloudflare system is very trustworthy.

PS: I do not quote the name of the domain name because I believe it is not relevant for the purpose of this thread.

It is, to actually see and determine the timelines involved. But if you do not want to give it, the community can’t offer any advice and you will have to wait for your support request to be answered by Cloudflare.

In my personal opinion, flirting with expiry dates on domains is a silly risk to take. If the domain is important, have it auto-renew. It doesn’t save you money and the people I see try this most often are domain brokers who hope to sell the domain in the redemption period to save a few $ for a year’s registration, and sometimes they fail (picked up a few good domains that way myself). Not applicable to Cloudflare, but since registrars started renewing expired domains themselves to either screw the registrant or resell at profit, the risk of playing this game has got much greater.

1 Like

Thank you for responding and commenting. The domain name is PETERNEWDOM.COM

I did not quite understand your explanation because as far as I understand if we allow a domain to reach the redemption period then it will cost more money to get it back (even if I would be acting as a broker unless the restore fees is paid by anyone else).

In my case, it is not a matter of flirting with expiry dates. It is an issue that my income stream is not regular. Then I have to play around with dates as I have done for years without any problem and so far I have never lost a domain name in almost 20 years.

This event has been the first time it has happened that a domain name disappears before reaching the 40 days. It is more or less understandable if it disappears just 24-48 hours before going into redemption but not before as in this case at 30 days. I can ascertain this after having domain names parked for many years with different registrars. Again, I think Cloudflare is an outstanding company. So, my comments are not driven by dissatisfaction nor are meant to criticize. I am just trying to understand what happened.

ADDENDUM: I have copied and pasted below the email I receive yesterday from Cloudflare with regard to the domain name I am referring to.

Domain Suspension Notice

Hi,

Please be advised that the domain peternewdom.com is more than 30 days past expiration and has now been suspended. You may still renew the domain by logging into your account at https://dash.cloudflare.com/login. Failure to renew will result in the domain being deleted.

Visit https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018375572-Cloudflare-Registrar-FAQ for more information on domain renewals.

The Cloudflare Registrar team

ICANN requires domains to have a minimum redemption period of 30 days, so 40 days is pushing it. Although actually your domain only expired 31 days ago…
https://cf.sjr.org.uk/tools/check?68c13b4e444b4d1c81020e0519ff5fe1#whois
…hence the reminder email from Cloudflare.

The ability to renew through the dashboard is new in the last few days so if the option to renew isn’t in the dashboard for you, as the email tells you to use it, best to raise a registrar ticket. If you post the ticket number here, maybe passing Cloudflare staff will pick it up as well.

1 Like

Thank you. I have just finished submitting a registrar ticket regarding the domain name being queried.

Apart from that, I think there is a confusion about your statement that the ability to renew through the dashboard is new. Yes, it is new but as far as I understand such a facility only refers to domain names that have already gone into redemption period (i.e. reached the 40-day grace period given by Cloudflare). Therefore I think the renewal link should still be available as it has been happening so far without accessing the “restore” link which is meant to deleted domain names in redemption period.

Hi @user12329 can you share your ticket number here?

I don’t think it did. I noticed the domain you mention is not in the same account you are using here and in that account, if I click Manage Domains

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 3.28.34 PM

And select the manage option
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 3.28.39 PM

I see the renew option

2 Likes

Hi Cloonan

Thank you very much for your feedback. Now I start figuring out what actually happened and for me it is good news as I have such a high opinion of Cloudflare that I was intrigued that Cloudflare’s computer system may have muddled up things.

My partner just reminded me that at some stage I wanted to create a second account at Cloudflare which I did (but honestly forgot) using a different email account as you have well pointed out. I just checked the “confirm detail” email you send on behalf of INCANN and noticed exactly what you said.

The reason I managed to get your notices for the domain being queried is because all emails are automatically forwarded to the email account linked to this account I am writing from.

I do apologize for the lapse and any inconvenience cause. What I will do next is log out right from this account and try to log in at Cloudflare using the other email address in order to renew the domain name. Only if I encounter any problem I will come back to you.

Gratitude is the memory of the heart. So, thank you again!

1 Like

No need, we’re here to help. Let us know if you run into any issues, the Registrar team is really helpful.

1 Like

Hi @user12329

I believe your issue has been resolved as the domain is active and up and running.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.