Domain name expired on Google Domains, Unlocked, Doesn't show up on Cloudflare Registrar screen

Domain name is ‘moved’ status on Cloudflare.

Expired 9 September 2019 on Google Domains.

Update: Name servers auto-set back to Google Domains, no option to change it back to Cloudflare’s unless I renew with Google first…

Whois Domain Status: ok https://www.icann.org/epp#ok

How do I get Cloudflare to renew my domain name if it doesn’t show up in the domain registrar list - but it still shows up in my list of website URLs at the top. It’s not even showing up on unsupported domains…

Thank you!

Well, the nameservers do not point to Cloudflare any more. Hence “moved”. Google most likely suspended the domain because it - well :wink: - expired.

1 Like

You did renew it however, so simply set the nameservers again and Cloudflare should be able to re-verify it again.

Thank you for your quick feedback!

Didn’t renew it yet.

Google has set the name servers to Google’s. Doesn’t seem like I haven any more control over the domain on Google’s side unless I renew it on Google, but I want to renew it on Cloudflare.

Is that possible? I had a similar situation before when the transfer started before the domain expired but mid-way through google changed the name servers to Google’s and I had to contact Cloudflare support to get it resolved. Transferred to Cloudflare from Google, nameservers still Google; had been Cloudflare

Well, it currently expires in 2020 and has an “ok” status, so that usually means it is properly registered. But maybe Google renewed it on its own :man_shrugging:t2:

You cant renew it with Cloudflare, you could have only transferred it, but for that it cant have expired. At this point you can only renew with Google.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s probably Google doing it at a higher level. Not sure what they do about non-renewed domains then, they probably just release it back to the root name servers / ICANN.

Ah yeah, I think you’re right on this one. Seems like Google has the domain now. I rang them, they said if I wait until after 8 October to renew, I will have to pay $100 restoration fee, but before then it’s just a normal renewal fee. (AUD $19.90 - vs AUD ~$11 with Cloudflare). I just wanted to consolidate my domains as well.

I read my old similar case support ticket from 5 months ago and this is what it said:

Topic: “Can’t change nameservers to cloudflare since domain name already transferred and Google Domains auto-set their nameservers before the transfer due to 1 day expiry”

Cloudflare Response: "Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Cloudflare Registrar Support. Sorry to hear that you experienced some difficulties here.

The DNS for your domain name has been updated to the following:

duke.ns.cloudflare.com
reza.ns.cloudflare.com

Unfortunately, during the transfer process, a losing registrar can change the DNS prior to releasing the domain.

Cloudflare Registrar only supports transfers of domains that are active on Cloudflare. Active domains on Cloudflare use nameservers assigned by Cloudflare. When you transfer your registration, your nameservers will not be modified."

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.