Domain host cannot find DNS on Cloudflare when attempting DNS changes on their side

Our domain provider cannot change our Nameservers as they say they cannot find the DNS on Cloudflare when checking on their side. (See their message below, please note I have built a site in Groove Pages and the domain has been created there)  - Please advise how this can be resolved?
>>
Please be advised we have dug the domain against the Cloudflare nameservers and we still getting no DNS response from Cloudflare which is an indication the issue is on their end 

===================================================================================================================================
$ dig vietnamfromsouthafrica.co.za @dora.ns.cloudflare.

; <<>> DiG 9.11.4-P2-RedHat-9.11.4-26.P2.el7_9.14 <<>> vietnamfromsouthafrica. @dora.ns.cloudflare.
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 58822
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;vietnamfromsouthafrica.co.za. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
vietnamfromsouthafrica.co.za. 1800 IN SOA dora.ns.cloudflare.com. dns.cloudflare.com. 2318054913 10000 2400 604800 1800

It seems there’s been some miscommunication across the board here.

Our domain provider cannot change our Nameservers as they say they cannot find the DNS on Cloudflare when checking on their side. (See their message below, please note I have built a site in Groove Pages and the domain has been created there) - Please advise how this can be resolved?

First, Groove is NOT your domain provider. Groove doesn’t even register domains for their customers at all: you need to bring your own existing domain to use their service (I’ve used their GrooveSells for nearly 3 years now, and I checked this before posting).

In your setup, Groove will be your hosting provider.

Your domain provider is the organization you purchased your domain from. Public records show the official registrar of your domain is Afrihost, but I can’t say if you purchased it from them directly or through a reseller.

Please be advised we have dug the domain against the Cloudflare nameservers and we still getting no DNS response from Cloudflare which is an indication the issue is on their end

The highlighted message above from Groove support is inaccurate, but it’s perhaps coming from some inaccurate information you might have given them.

How to resolve this?

Groove has two ways to add a custom domain: “Full Domain” setup and “Legacy Domain” setup. How you resolve your issue depends on which option you chose when you added your domain in Groove.

FULL DOMAIN SETUP

If you chose the “Full Domain” setup, Groove will give you two Cloudflare nameservers to use. And all you have to do is go to your domain name provider/registrar and update your domain’s nameservers there.

Once this is done, Groove will add your domain to their Cloudflare account and manage all DNS records for you automatically.

As I’ve stated already, your domain provider is NOT Groove (they don’t register domains at all), and it’s not Cloudflare either (they don’t register .ZA domains). It’s the company you purchased your domain from.

LEGACY DOMAIN SETUP

If you chose the “Legacy Domain” option, you still need to go to the company you purchased your domain from to update the domain’s nameservers.

But, this time, you first need to add the domain to your own Cloudflare account for Cloudflare to give you your own nameservers to use.

After this, as Groove cannot access your own Cloudflare account to manage your DNS records for you, you’ll need to take additional steps to get your domain to work with Groove, and that should all be explained in your Groove dashboard.

I hope that helps to clarify the issue.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply…it’s much appreciated :slight_smile:
The domain is with Afrihost (our provider/registrar), I added the custom domain as “ Full Domain” on Groove already and followed all the prompts.

My registrar/provider is supposed to change the NS to the ones that Groove assigned to me but they cannot find the DNS on Cloudflare’s side. Therefore they cannot add/change the Nameservers and I’m stuck…

Other than that, I don’t know how to get the issue sorted.

This does not make any sense at all.

They don’t need to “find” anything on Cloudflare’s side.

They simply need to update the nameservers of the domain – which they control – to the one you provided them. Whatever happens after that should not be their concern.

If you have an account on Afrihost, you should be able to do this yourself. Click on Afrihost’s own support article below and follow the section “1. How to point your domain via NS records”.

In the end, you should have this “Update NS Records” screen with 4 nameserver addresses. Remove ALL FOUR and enter the two Cloudflare nameserver addresses Groove gave you into the first two boxes (it’s absolutely fine to have 2 nameservers, so leave the remaining two boxes empty).

That’s all Afrihost is supposed to do, but something seems to be lost in translation.

If you don’t have an account on Afrihost or if you’re unable to navigate to the above Update NS Records screen, then I’ll recommend you ask for your ticket to be escalated to someone higher up to help you with this, as the support person you’re dealing with is dropping the ball on this one.

PLEASE NOTE: Making this change will cause ALL services you have with Afrihost attached to this domain – eg email, other websites, etc – to stop working. If you have some services with Afrihost attached to this very domain that you want to continue to use, then you should have selected the “Legacy Domain” option in Groove. Other domains you may have in Afrihost will NOT be affected at all.

2 Likes

Thanks George,

That’s just it - when I try editing the ns on my end through my Clientzone for Afrihost it gives an error saying I need to contact Afrihost (therefore the mails to them).

Thanks in any way…we’re on the same page…but I think Afrihost is not…

1 Like

If it’s any consolation, you’re not the only one experiencing this weird Afrihost issue. The link below is just one of several cases I saw searching the forum, and even this one post has others saying they’re experiencing the same issue at Afrihost.

I see your domain is about 45 days old. If you’re unable to get a resolution soon, you may just have to wait it out for the 60-day waiting period to pass and transfer your domain to another registrar.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.