Domain Forwarding Settings

I have 2 domains pointing to a shared hosting server. 1 is the main domain for my cPanel and the other is just a hosted sub-domain. I have reversed this so that the sub-domain is now my main domain for my cPanel, and I now want to point the original main domain to the new main domain. ie this is now not hosted in my shared hosting server. How do I do this?

You’d be much better off straightening this out where the site is hosted. Trying to flip hostnames around after the fact is somewhat difficult. It will most likely require some DNS record changes here, not until you fix this at your host.

I would have thought this was as simple as as pointing this to the new main host, so that visitors to the website go to the new location. I just need the syntax for pointing to the new host.

I do agree that this also needs some sorting out at the hosting too. Which I’m working on.

If the host is properly configured for that hostname, then it’s as simple as updating the DNS record to point to the new host. Usually an “A” record with that new host’s IP address.

OK. So I guess I just change the A record of old main domain from itself to the new main name, and leave everything else the same? (ie CNAME & MX records for example).

so far that hasn’t worked even though the new domain name is now resolving properly at my host.

Perhaps I should be bypassing cloudflare now for the old domain, and point the old domain to the new domain at my registrar?

I suggest you use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for that domain at dash.cloudflare.com. The link is in the lower right corner of that page. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS. Only then should you un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS setting to make sure it’s Full (Strict).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.