Does this violate Cloudflare terms of use?

I’m creating a SaaS web app that will allow my users to install a small snippet of JavaScript on their website that will load other JavaScript files, HTML files, and images (images can be up to 2MB each, sometimes smaller) to be displayed on their website. All these files will be hosted on Backblaze B2 and served via Cloudflare “Orange Cloud” in an effort to utilize the bandwidth alliance.

I’m wondering if this is allowed? I want to make sure it does not violate any Cloudflare terms before I set it up.

I have read “2.8 Limitation on Serving Non-HTML Content” of the Cloudflare Self-Serve Subscription Agreement. But, I’m still not sure if my use case is allowed.

Any help from Cloudflare staff members on this subject would be much appreciated.

I can only add here that I have a test Website which is running on Cloudflare Workers (HTML/CSS), external font loaded and hosted my images on Backblaze B2 Storage (configured over a cdn sub-domain which is being proxied :orange: and also cached via Cloudflare Page Rule with the Cache Everything) here:

Other example, where I use(d) Google Cloud Storage bucket, where I uploaded my files (again - the CSS, JS, images, fonts) and I have had a CNAME record setup and proxied (:orange:) sub-domain like static.mydomain.com which was pointed to that Google Cloud Storage bucket, with the Page Rule for that sub-domain hostname containing the Cache Level: Cache Everything option and Edge Cache TTL set to maximum to spare traffic as far as the GCS costs per GB egress to different regions on download). That way, everything is being cached at Cloudflare Edge and served by Cloudflare (no need to go to the GCS Bucket for each request).

• instead of a GCS bucket, you can try to use some other like BackBlaze B2, Amazon, or some third one, if it allows you to use it and setup like that …

As long as you do not get a message from Cloudflare of TOS violation (Section 2.8 of our Terms of Service) by not serving like 100s of MBs or xGBs of files, I believe you are good to go :wink:

In case it happens, to avoid TOS violation you need to serve those files through a separate hostname which is :grey: cloud (DNS-only). Caching is not the issue as far as I know, while using the proxy (:orange: cloud) is.

1 Like

In case you’re using Cloudflare Workers, I’d like to point out the following paragraph from the Supplemental Terms:

Cloudflare Pages and Cloudflare Workers®

You may use Cloudflare Pages and Workers (whether in conjunction with a storage offering such as Cloudflare Workers KV and Durable Objects or not) to serve HTML content as well as non-HTML content (e.g., image files, audio files) other than video files.

2 Likes

INTERESTING!
Think I’m gonna have to take another look at pricing

I’m curious how much bandwidth fritex.monster is putting through :orange:? The reason I ask is because I’ve seen a few posts that mention running into problems only when they use large amounts of bandwidth.

It would be unfortunate to build a SaaS web app that utilizes Cloudflare and see no problems in the beginning, then once my bandwidth use grows my :orange: gets disabled for using too much bandwidth. In this case I would rather use a different CDN from the start.

Actually, not much. Too low to measure.

Yep, like downloading 1-3GB files, or having mp4 videos (not Cloudflare Stream), etc. while having proxy mode enabled (:orange:).

Well, that would I think depend on the usage and users.

If so, maybe look up at BunnyCDN & Bunny Storage.

1 Like

@fritex Seems like that clause would cover your use case. Just make a worker loosely based off this and you should be good to go: https://developers.cloudflare.com/workers/examples/respond-with-another-site

Another option if you’re serving static images and js, etc. would be GitHub, I’ve seen that a lot and they’ve got an amazing CDN afaik (don’t quote me on that).

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m actually already using BunnyCDN for other projects. I just liked the idea of using the bandwidth alliance to get free egress from Backblaze B2 to Cloudflare.

I submitted this question to Cloudflare support also and they said they think your reply in this post was correct:

But the problem I see with that is that I could get my site :grey: 'ed at anytime if I get a large amount of consistent traffic and would have to switch to a different CDN anyway.

I’ll probably build on BunnyCDN from the start since they’re the cheapest I’ve seen.

From what i recall till yet Cloudflare has always notified the Customer in advance
and asked them to upgrade to a higher Plan.

And till yet i am only aware of 2 such cases.

One Free Cloudflare account that used Cloudflare for a very Popular Image Hosting website and after a few repeated contacts with him his account was deactivated as he still stayed on the free Plan.

And the other was asked to upgrade to Enterprise Plan to cover the Expenses for the Traffic. He refused to do this and some of his content that crossed the allowed usage quota for the business plan got then a 404 but he was not disabled or deactivated.

I do think Cloudflare offers the Best Price to Value Service and as long
you ready to cover the Expenses you will not get in any problems.

You can start from Pro and go to Bussiness and if your site is very Popular and use a lot of Resources then Enterprise should cover you.

It was confirmed that if you excede any quotas for a Plan you will get a request
to upgrade to a higher Plan that is all.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.