Does the Cloudflare nameservers assigned to my account ever change?

I’ve had my cloudflare account for a while now. Have about 10 domains connected to Cloudflare nameservers. I’ve always thought that the nameservers assigned to my account will be the same and will not be changed. But today when I’m connecting a new domain to Cloudflare, I noticed that the nameservers provided to me are different from the nameservers that I used in all the previous connected domains.

I only have one Cloudflare account so I’m not mistaken, checking the nameservers on my previous connected domains confirms this. I’ve always thought the nameservers assigned to accounts will always be the same. Is this not true?

I’m not emotionally invested in the nameservers and don’t care if it’s a different nameservers. Just thought this is out of the ordinary since I’ve never experienced this before

Nameservers are assigned per domain. While you often are assigned the same nameservers for all domains in your account, there are circumstances where they change.

For example, if you set the nameservers at your registrar before you add the domain to Cloudflare, you will definitely be assigned a new pair of nameservers to prevent domain hijacking.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

For example, if you set the nameservers at your registrar before you add the domain to Cloudflare, you will definitely be assigned a new pair of nameservers to prevent domain hijacking.

This explains it, as I did change the nameservers before adding the domain in Cloudflare.

Does this mean the nameservers in my account is changed and will not go back to the ones it used to be? Or if I disconnect this parked domain and re add it to Cloudflare, will I get the original nameservers back?

No, you will not.

You do not have account nameservers. You never did. While you may have always received the same pair in the past, nameservers have always been assigned per domain. Adding nameservers prematurely will always result in a new pair being assigned to prevent domain hijacking. Do not change the nameservers at your registrar until after you have been informed which pair to use.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. But the way you respond is very much like a provoking Redditor lol

Do not change the nameservers at your registrar until after you have been informed which pair to use.

Well if I want different nameservers then I will do exactly this. Otherwise the nameservers aren’t going to change, which is effectively the same as having nameservers assigned per account (only until there’s a reason to change it like this context). If I always waited till I add the domain in Cloudflare before changing the nameservers in the registrar, would the nameservers ever change? Because I know people that have their Cloudflare account for a long time with 3 digit number of domains and still uses the same nameservers.

If you need the same nameservers on all of your Cloudflare account domains, there is only one guaranteed way, and it is not free. It requires a Business or Enterprise subscription.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.