Does CNAME flattening allow proxying?

Hi!

Just trying to find an answer before I make major changes to my hosting solution. In a nutshell: I’m using regular generic GoDaddy-esque hosting for all of my websites at the moment, but that’s getting expensive and I’d like to move them all to one machine in the building.

What I’d like to do is use proxying to hide the IP address of the connection – this works fine for subdomains as usual, but I was curious about CNAME flattening for the root of a domain. You know, because www.* is ugly.

I’ve read in the famous blog post announcing CNAME flattening that Cloudflare will return the IP address for a root CNAME record, which raises this question for me: if set to Proxy, will it return a Cloudflare IP or the origin IP?

I’ve been trying to find the answer to this question but I haven’t been able to find an answer in the documentation, so if any of you might know the answer: please do share :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Cheers,
Daan

Anything :orange: Proxied will resolve as a Cloudflare IP address. It kind of makes CNAME flattening pointless on proxied CNAME records.

3 Likes

It does, although it’s of course necessary to keep things working that always expect an A record at the root.

Excellent, thank you for clarifying this!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.