Do I need SSL certificate if I have one from CloudFlare?

Can they work together? Do I need to have SSL from say like comodo, if I already enabled SSL on Cloudflare dashboard?

Yes, you need a certificate on your server as well. The Cloudflare cert secures the connection between the visitor and Cloudflare and your server cert secures the connection between Cloudflare and your server.

2 Likes

I dont understand… Why do I need SSL between Cloudflare and my website?
Is it really free SSL from Cloudflare if the user is going to have to buy one from a paid service anyway?

Don’t get me wrong, I already have a paid SSL. Just trying to understand.

You generate a Cloudflare Origin CA certificate ( https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/origin-configuration/origin-ca/ ) which lasts for ~15 years and is free.

There is no need for a paid certificate, but you do need a certificate - otherwise HTTPS between Cloudflare and your origin wouldn’t work, and data would be sent unencrypted (or rejected, depends on your SSL mode).

2 Likes

Aha I get it now.

Can I do this if I don’t host my own site? My site is hosted by a hosting company.

As long as they have a utility for you to upload a certificate to be used against your site, yes.

It all depends on your host but see what format they want the certificate in, create it as per the documentation I linked & send it over to them - most of them just let you upload the certificate in an admin panel.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.