DNSSEC is stuck in pending status

I transferred multiple domains to Cloudflare last Sunday (04/03/2022).
It’s been a week now and several of the domains are still stuck on
“DNSSEC is pending” status. I’m also getting reports from customers
that my websites are inaccessible and they are getting errors, although
it works for me both through my ISP and my mobile data provider. Not
sure if that’s somehow related to the DNSSEC no completing.

I’ve read many similar posts here where others had the same problem, and every time it was fixed by someone on Cloudflare team having to manually delete DS records. I tried sending an email to support @cloudflare.com asking them to help, but it was closed with message “Email support is not available for customers on your plan type”. Anyone here can help with my issue? TIA

Forgot to mention that the ticket # that was opened and immediately closed is 2421385.

If so you are a Free user right ? Then there is no Support for free users the but don’t worry you are on the right place community, someone here will help you soon !

Kindly be patient till someone else reply

Have a great day !

Emailing is not the best way to contact support and the ticket will be closed on free plans. You need to talk to Registrar Support.

To contact Cloudflare Registrar Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. When asked for the type of enquiry, make sure you select ‘Registrar’.


This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.