DNS tables and propagation time

Hello to all,

I have a VPS that I need to configure on Cloudflare
but since I am changing from one place to the other I want to reduce downtime to a minimum

I have this table example I need to add:

• @ A 10800 xx.xx.xx.xxx
  • forum CNAME 10800 domain.name
  • portal CNAME 10800 domain.name
  • www CNAME 10800 domain.name
  • mail CNAME 10800 domain.name
  • webmail CNAME 10800 domain.name
  • secure CNAME 10800 domain.name

and like I described I change the DNS but I need to reduce the minimum propagation times.
How could this be achieved?

TIA

My recommendation is, before changing nameservers to Cloudflare ones or vice-versa, replace the value 10800 (180 minutes) with 300 (5 minutes) for your DNS records at your current provider (via cPanel or some other interface if it allows you) :wink:

Moreover, the DNS nameserver propagation for a domain usually is up to 24 hours. Depending on the TLDs as far as I have tested, some have 1 hour “update rule” so they check after an hour of your changes and gather new information, while for others like ISPs at my country I have to wait 24 hours.

You can prepare, change the TTL value to lower one for today, and consider doing the nameserver change for a few hours later or even a day later (tomorrow) in the time when the Website traffic is as lowest possible to make sure there would be no interruptions.

In case, you can flush the needed DNS records for your domain using the tools from the list below:

To check DNS records of your domain, you can use from below list:

And regarding filling the table how shall I put it on cloudflare

@ A 10800 xx.xx.xx.xxx
forum CNAME 10800 domain.name
portal CNAME 10800 domain.name
www CNAME 10800 domain.name
mail CNAME 10800 domain.name
webmail CNAME 10800 domain.name
secure CNAME 10800 domain.name

When I had just NS1 and NS2 it was easy

Should look like this for example:

I recommend to add A record instad of CNAME for forum, portal, www, webmail, secure sub-domains and point them to IP address just like for @ A record and make sure to have them :orange: (proxied via Cloudflare).

Regarding E-mail service, the A mail record make sure it is :grey: (DNS Only).
Also, to note consider adding an MX record for yourdomain.com which points to mail.yourdomain.com (the A mail record which should be :grey: to make the email working).

A mail and MX records should look like this:

Here is a great tutorial for e-mail MX record setup at Cloudflare DNS dashboard:

Later on, in case you need and want, you can also add an TXT records for better deliver like SPF, DKIM, DMARC, etc.

If you plan to use Cloudflare for your domain or more of them, i prefer checking this and firstly creating Cloudflare account:

Moreover, after you created your Cloudflare account, you would need to change nameservers for your domain at your domain registar to Cloudflare:

After that, just as you post the needed records, you setup the DNS records at Cloudflare dashboard as follows:

In case for better understanding, a video tutorials are also here:

For the records which are :orange: changing the origin won’t change any customer facing IP address and the change on Cloudflare’s backend will replicate in ~= 30 seconds globally.

For the others… the numerical value (10800) I assume refers to the TTL in seconds. Cloudflare’s default is 300 (5 minutes). 10800 works out to 3 hours… which seems unnecessarily long.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.