DNS Setup without Email records

I want to add a website but without having the MX records in Cloudflare. How do I just setup all the other DNS records?

Or can I use the nameserver change and then bypass the MX records?

You can ignore the MX record warning. However, I do create a dummy MX record with a hostname of . (Dot) and a weight of 0. That lets mailers know that the domain doesn’t accept email.

The record exposes the IP behind mail.domain.com which you have proxied through cloudflare. How do I get the MX to work? Or how can I bypass Cloudflare for MX and emails?

Proxy status shows DNS only

A few more steps are required to complete your setup.

Some of your DNS only records are exposing IPs that are proxied through Cloudflare. Make sure to proxy all A, AAAA, and CNAME records pointing to proxied records to avoid exposing your origin IP.

I don’t have any cloud icons in my DNS records

How do I proxy the A and Cname records?

If a record can be proxied, you’d have to click on the :grey: icon to edit that entry. In Edit mode, clicking on the :grey: or :orange: will change its status. Then save.

Note that Cloudflare does not proxy email connections, so the hostname you use for mail must be set to :grey:. That’s what usually causes the “Exposes Origin IP address” warning. This is normal if you host email on the same server as your website.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.