DNS Settings | Google Site Hosting | CloudFlare custom Domain | Error 522

Hi community! I need a hand by people smarter than myself :smiley:

I bought a domain with Cloudflare “Keelercarpentry. com” and I am simply trying to point it to a google site page for the moment

I have confirmed in google search admin that I am the owner of this domain and then then I go to the settings in google sites to add the custom domain it shows successful, but the next day its telling me I have invalid DNS and it never works, I only get the cloudflare 522 error when I attempt to load this domain.
I have tried to follow everything I can find, I added the correct A name record and also the correct CNAME in my cloudflare DNS settings (I did add the period at the end of this “ghs.googlehosted. com.” but when I click save it appears to drop off the last period in cloudflare so I don’t know if this is causing the issue or what.
I cant seem to find any help articles that work for this issue, so if anyone is able to give me a few tips or advice I would be very grateful!
Thanks
Chris

That’s an issue with the Google setup, maybe they could not configure it yet.

Pause Cloudflare and make sure the site loads fine on HTTPS. Then it should also work when unpaused.

Your www hostname works now, however your naked domain does not. You either fix that on the server or you implement a redirect → Deprecated - Redirect example.com to www.example.com (follow the archived content)

Also, make sure your encryption mode on Cloudflare is set to Full Strict, otherwise you wouldn’t have any encryption in the first place

I changed it to full strict now, I bought this domain with Cloudflare and since the name servers have to stay there then my redirect server must be in Cloudflare correct? I’m second guessing my understanding as I read your reply.

So are you saying I need to implement a non www → to a www. redirect in Cloudflare? I thought this cold be a problem but I was getting the 522 error when I tried the URL both with the www and without the www… So I figured I would solve this problem after I just got either one to work.

If I understand your comments, I turned off the Proxy box on the A and CNAME and tested the page load to see if it would work. I didn’t see a difference so I then enabled the proxy back on for this domain now.

Or did you mean something else when you mentioned “Pause/unpause”?

As mentioned, www already works. The issue is with the naked domain, but that’s still an issue with your host. As mentioned, you either fix that or configure the redirect.

I swear it was not working this morning (naked or www) and now they both are working! lol I did change it to strict mode after I toggled the proxy setting also. But I just checked and now both the naked and www are working fine!

Thanks for the assistance!

So I thought it was resolved, but I think it was just cashing the site, when I tried the naked URL from a fresh computer I was getting the 522 error. So I did find the page redirect rules and now have a redirect in for the naked URL to be passed to the full URL thus I think solving the problem. But when I attempt to test it I now get a new google error and I got this same error when testing from my work phone not even on the same network, it reads:

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. [Why did this happen?]
IP address: 204.210.242.117
Time: 2024-01-12T19:26:21Z

Since I am getting this error from many devices, including friend’s devices not on my network I think Google is blocking something in the handover from Cloudflare to google sites. Is everyone seeing this error also? Does anyone know how I can avoid this?

Yes, the redirect is in place now. If you get an error message on Google, that would not be Cloudflare related.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.