DNS setting needs to be updated A record

Is there any way to change DNS settings away from Cloudflare to bluehost without having to buy a package from cloudflare? All I need to do is have one record changed.

What exactly are you trying to do? Which type of record? Was your domain bought from Cloudflare, or do you only use Cloudflare for DNS management?

1 Like

DNS Management through 48in48 nonprofit & had recently moved hosting to BLUEHOST & need to change DNS settings.
BLUEHOST informed me that Cloudflare needs to do it.

I think I sent settings?

Is 48in48.org the domain you are talking about?

No. the domain is PIVITU dot com

Liddie Palumbo
~Lake and Lime~

That domain is registered via Squarespace and currently using Cloudflare for DNS.

If you want to change your nameservers, you need to do that at Squarespace. If you want to keep using Cloudflare, you need to update your DNS records with those provided by Bluehost.

You don’t need to buy anything at Cloudflare for either option.

I am a bit of a novice, so thanks for your patience.

Understood about Domain at Squarespace (formerly Google domain) and using Cloudflare for DNS.

Bluehost has changed all they can and indicated that Cloudflare has to be the one to update the A record, they have done everything else.

Below is what Bluehost said:

Dear Liddie,

Thank you for contacting us!

This is Ysa, I would like to inform you about the DNS records that you need to update under your DNS settings.

Type: A record

Host Name: @

Value: 162.241.218.58

TTL : 15 minutes or 4 hrs

After adding the records, there will be propagation time that could take within 24 to 48 hrs up to 72 hrs.

They assisted me in using dnschecker to confirm change had happened for the pivitu dot com site and it had not.

(I spell dot com cause I can’t forward to you otherwise)

Hoping this makes sense. Thanks so much for your help.

Liddie Palumbo

You are currently using Cloudflare as a proxy, so when you use sites like dnschecker, you will always see Cloudflare’s IPs, not those of your server.

Is this the site you expect to see or the old site?

If it is the old site, you need to update the values at https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/dns/records
This requires you to have access to the correct Cloudflare account that your domain is managed in.

1 Like

Yes. That is the site we transferred to Bluehost away from 48in48. (Within the past 2-3 days).

I guess my question is…
Is everything working and Bluehost is now the official hosting provider?
48in48 is what we used as host prior to migration & it used Cloudflare (as DNS only?).

I ask this because I have another website I set up with Bluehost as hosting platform & it uses Cloudflare in DNS but it shows Bluehost as hosting service when I check it.

I just want to make sure everything is working before I go start editing the website in Wordpress.

Liddie

If you change the DNS records from proxied :norange: to DNS-Only :ngrey:, you can use dnschecker again to see that it is using the correct IP.

After that, you can enable the proxy again if you want to use Cloudflare, or keep it DNS-Only if you don’t.

Okay, can I do that in BLUEHOST dns dashboard? If so, I will try it.

You have been SOOOO helpful,
Thank you.

Liddie

No, you do that at the link I’ve given you in my previous post. https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/dns/records

Again, thank you for your support.

I did what you recommended and changed the dns record from proxied to dns only.

Can you help me understand if this is what I want to do? I am asking because I want Bluehost to be the nameserver also, can you help with that? I am trying to get the website to Bluehost as the hosting provider, so it shows up as the Name Server. Bluehost recommended I needed to contact Cloudflare to do this.

I am not certain if this takes care of that?

Liddie

They are still proxied.

At the link I gave you, what does it say are your assigned Cloudflare nameservers? Are they bill.ns.cloudflare.com and maria.ns.cloudflare.com?

I have to spell it out or I get returned message, FYI.

They are not bill or maria, but jim and olga

Liddie

Then you are not using the correct Cloudflare account.
It is probably easier at this point if you just log in to Squarespace and change your nameservers to Bluehost:
https://www.bluehost.com/help/article/connect-domain

Before you do this, I assume you are using some service for email on that domain?

You probably need to configure your DNS records for that again afterwards.

Thank you. I will do that and once that is completed, will that confirm Bluehost is hosting provider, name servers and I won’t need to contact Cloudflare?

Liddie

Oh geez. Yes, I am using emails using that domain, should I contact bluehost for that?

Liddie