DNS Same IP Cloudflare Proxy

Hi,

I have my main website www. e domaim.com pointing to my server both using Cloudflare proxy, but if use a subdomain admin.domain.com pointing to the same server and Cloudflare proxy then it wont work saying?

This site can’t provide a secure connection

admin.domain.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

But if I turn the cloudflare proxy for this “A” DNS then it works fine… is there anyway to use more than one domain with cloudflare pointing to same server? I am using letsencrypt for SSL

2 Likes

Cloudflare issues a cert for example.com and *.example.com. Anything within that range should work when :orange: proxied.

If you need more specific suggestions, please post the subdomain name in question.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks yah I just found they only cover one domain and one server if I need to use a domain and a subdomain domain.com and admin.domain.com to the same server they say one needs to be not orange proxied… if I want I will need to get the enterprise version…

1 Like

That doesn’t sound right. One Cloudflare account can accommodate a zone that includes a site on the apex domain, and any number of sites in a first level subdomain such as www.example.com or admin.example.com. They do not have to be on the same origin server.

1 Like

Hi, yes that is right, you can use as many *.domain.com as you want however if it will be in the same server you can only use the orange proxied with (www + domain.com) any extra admin.domain , app.domain you cannot use orange proxied if they are in the same server/ip only if you pay enterprise, if they are in another server (1 per server) all fine then you can use orange proxied

1 Like

This does not make sense. (At least to me).

On any plan you can have a large number of subdomains, and it does not matter if they all have the same or different origin IP addresses.

On an enterprise plan you can have a wildcard record set as :orange:, which you cannot have on other plan types. But on any plan you can create hundreds of hostnames, each of which can be set :orange: or :grey: as you desire or require.

2 Likes

This is not true, and is not the source of your error.

2 Likes

What I am reading wrong then? https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003687931-Warning-about-exposing-your-origin-IP-address-via-DNS-records

“Wildcard “*” DNS records can only be proxied to Cloudflare for domains on the Enterprise plan. For all other plans, a wildcard DNS record reveals the origin IP.”

Not sure then why I can one get my main domain with orange proxy and the others I need to turn it off if that is in the same server

1 Like

Don’t use Wildcard DNS. You need a DNS record for every hostname that you want to proxy.

1 Like

That is not the way it is working for me… I am have 1000 domains with Orange cloud IF they are pointing to different servers/IP, if I have multiples domains/subdomains pointing to the same server it only works if they have orange proxy off…

1 Like

that is the only way I could get my domains working

Also I am using in SSl/TLS: Full Recommended by Cloudflare Encrypts end-to-end, using a self signed certificate on the server

if I turn one of those Grey clouds on I get the error: This site can’t provide a secure connection

dev.app.mydomain.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

and I have letsencrypt in all those domains in my servers

1 Like

And there we go. Finally something we can work with. You originally said it was admin.domain.com.

3 Likes

hmmmm ok so that means it only covers up to OneName.MyDomain.com? so I can use
dev_app.mydomain.com or admin_dev_app.mydomain.com but not dev.app.mydomain.com either admin.dev_app.mydomain.com? is it?

1 Like

Yes, unless you have Advanced Certificate Manager that allows you to deploy cert for dev.app.mydomain.com

2 Likes

It’s more like covering sublevel.mydomain.com Not subsublevel.sublevel.mydomain.com

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.