DNS & Redirect to third-party hosting provider

Hi, I have an unresolved issue that I just can’t seem to figure out. I’m a marketing guy, so I apologize in advance if I sound like I don’t know what I’m doing. I’ll try to share what I know and am hoping somebody can connect the dots and figure out what might be happening.

My website is hosted on a third-party provider (Thinkific). I have a CNAME record set on the DNS for www to forward to my site on the hosting provider. The hosting provider uses dynamic IP addresses, so forwarding has to be set up this way. The hosting provider also requires a subdomain (www) for their use of a custom domain with their service.

The SSL being used is the one from the hosting provider. They do not support use of the Cloudflare SSL.

I also have a 301 static redirect set up to go to https:// mydomain .com

When the proxy is off on the DNS, everything functions correctly except people who type is https:// mydomain. com (basically, people who drop the www, which most people do).

When the proxy is on, nothing seems to work at all. The problem with this is that one of the plugs in that the hosting company sells requires proxy to be on.

Any thoughts on how I can get these situations resolved?

I’ve tried talking with the hosting company and they are responsive, but they basically say I need to contact Cloudflare. I just don’t understand this.

Any thoughts or assistance is appreciated! Thank you!

What does that mean? You should see an error message when you try to open your site, is that by any chance ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS ?

If it is, change your SSL mode in Cloudflare to Full (strict).

Hi @mark100 I have taken a look at your account and see that it does not work for you, since there is no DNS CNAME record for “mydomain.com”.
Please create another DNS record called “mydomain.com” with CNAME target the same as the “www” CNAME record.
Please let us know if you need further help after that.

Thank you for the response. When I create the new CNAME record, what should I put in the Name field (where the www is in my existing record)?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.