DNS Redirect to Cloudflare Tunnel App Launcher?

Tried to redirect www.mydomain to myApplauncher.cloudflareaccess.com using Cloudflare DNS>Record>Management: I created cname “www” to point to myAppLauncher.cloudflareaccess.com.

But when I browse to www.mydomain, I get the following:

Error 1014

Ray ID: 8441473648bc41c1 • 2024-01-12 00:28:13 UTC

CNAME Cross-User Banned

You’ve requested a page on a website that is part of the [Cloudflare] network. The host is configured as a CNAME across accounts on Cloudflare, which is not allowed by Cloudflare’s security policy.

Is there a different way to use my personal domain for the App Launcher?

A CNAME is not the same as a redirect. It’s an alias. Except you can’t alias the app launcher.

You would need to use a Redirect Rule to forward the request to the other domain, like this example:

https://developers.cloudflare.com/rules/url-forwarding/single-redirects/examples/#redirect-all-requests-to-a-different-hostname

Thank you. Implemented a page redirect rule instead of a CNAME and that did the trick. I appreciate the pointer.

1 Like

Spoke too soon. It seemed to work, and the next day it stopped. Not quite sure what happened.
Rule looks like:

But when I browse to www.XXX.net, I get:
fail2load

When I browse to xxx.cloudflareaccess.com, my App Launcher loads properly.

Make sure you have a proxied DNS entry for hostname you are redirecting from.

Use proxied A 192.0.2.1 or AAAA 100:: as a dummy value if the hostname is just for redirecting.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve added:

Flushed DNS cache. No change yet. I’ll give it an hour and try again.

Thanks. It’s working now. I’m guessing my issue was that I removed the CNAME I created after I created the redirect, and that removed the proxied DNS entry required for the redirect.

And I found the reference mentioning the requirement for the proxied DNS entry in the help page introducing Redirect Rules. I was following the example page provided earlier in this thread, which didn’t list that reference/requirement.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.