Dns proxy off for specific ip address

Hi,

I want to access domains from my home ip address without dns proxy but anything else with dns proxy.

Is there a way to whitelist or something my home ip address to not use dns proxy?

Kind regards,

The easiest way to do this is with a local host file. Depending on your OS, this is usually /etc/hosts or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Hi michael,

Thanks for your respons but i was talking about the dns proxy of cloudflare. That orange cloud in the dns entries.

To be more understandable, i am running nginx reverse proxy with an access list. This access list allows my home ip address and is configured with a credential login. As you can imagine, while i am at home i dont want to put everytime i access my (sub)domains to fill in the credentials. And because of dns proxy from cloudflare my nginx proxy receives the request from the cloudflare ip addresses.

So that is why i want to exclude my home ip address from dns proxy.

If your server, www.example.com is :orange:, all requests for www.example.com will come through Cloudflare, unless you override the DNS response. This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the local host file.

If it was me, and its not a public website, I would put it behind Cloudflare Access. In the access policy I would allow my authentication provider, and put in a Bypass rule for my home/work IP address. In this scenario you could allow all traffic from CF to your Origin (assuming you trust Cloudflares access control to be robust). The added benefit here is that your Origin is protected by Cloudflare, and you can securely access your origin when away from home.

You could also restore the original visitor IP using the ngx_http_realip_module on your Nginx server.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.