DNS Propagation issue to MX/Mail Records

Hi all,

We look after a website www.markspallets.com.au, and only just setup Cloudflare tonight.

Immediately after setting up we lost mail services only to realise I needed to add them to DNS under Cloudflare control panel.

These were added about 2-3 hours ago.

MX mail.markspallets.com.au Priority 1
A mail

If I ping markspallets.com.au I get the Cloudflare IP (as I should).
If I ping mail.markspallets.com.au, about an hr ago I got the Cloudflare IP (as I should).
If I ping mail.markspallets.com.au, NOW I get (as I should).

Problem I have is it seems I’m the only one getting it to resolve that way.

Testing email via Telstra Bigpond, via Gmail, via Sendgrid, OR checking MX records from MX Toolbox or DNSStuff, all still come back via the Cloudflare IP.

Is it just a matter of time to propagate over? Clearly it has already if I’m able to ping and get the correct IP come back right?

It’s 2AM here, and so got a few hours up my sleeve, just hoping this is the issue.

Cloudflare DNS under control panel is still telling me “An MX record was not found for your root domain. An MX record is required for mail to reach @ markspallets.com.au addresses.” (which is completely wrong as we do.

Appreciate anyones assistance on this. Tis the last thing I needed doing night maintenance.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Not sure how I edit messages on here.

I used greater than/less than signs and it converted part of part of post to code.

A mail SHOULD BE A mail “Our Server IP address”

CORRECTION #2
If I ping mail.markspallets.com.au, about an hr ago I got the Cloudflare IP (as I should).
If I ping mail.markspallets.com.au, NOW I get (as I should).
SHOULD BE
If I ping mail.markspallets.com.au, NOW I get “OUR SERVER IP” (as I should).

Your mail servers should be set to :grey:.

1 Like

Rename your MX record from mail to markspallets.com.au.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies.

@sdayman - I did find and go through that last night (as well as the other Cloudflare pages on MX records). Same problems.

@sandro - I have changed the MX record from mail to markspallets.com.au with a TTL of 10 minutes and will see if that helps us. (Change made 9:40AM AUS EST).

The only records with orange clouds are:

1. Our A record pointing “markspallets.com.au” to server IP.
  2. Our AAAA record pointing “markspallets.com.au” to server IPV6 IP.
  3. Our CNAME record of “www” being an alias for "“markspallets.com.au”.

It’s almost like the records are being accepted buy not relayed to correct IP in some instances.

I’m still not seeing an MX record for that domain. Can you post a screenshot of that MX record from your DNS settings at Cloudflare?

1 Like

Hi @sdayman,

Thanks for your assistance.

That’s the exact problem I’m seeing this end. IP resolves correctly when pinged, but not for mail relay/delivery.

Unless I’ve completely missed something last night, it should all be working.

Note up until my post above the records (MX) were pointed at mail.markspallets.com.au.

I’m using MXTOOLBOX and DNSStuff to check (and also sendgrid testing to see the delivery status/messages). All are seeing the same IP as pinging “markspallets.com.au”.
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3Amarkspalllets.com.au&run=toolpage#

Full records below (some obfuscated to avoid search engines/bots).

WEB RECORDS
markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN A 203.1###.####.####
markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN AAAA 24##:####:####:####:####:####:####:####
www.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME markspallets.com.au

INTERNAL MAIL RECORDS
mail.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN A 203.1###.####.####
mail.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN AAAA 24##:####:####:####:####:####:####:####
mail.markspallets.com.au MX Priority 0

EXTERNAL MAIL RECORDS
imap.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME mail.markspallets.com.au
pop3.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME mail.markspallets.com.au
smtp.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME mail.markspallets.com.au
webmail.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME webmail.au.syrahost.com

OTHER RECORDS
cpanel.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN A 203.1###.####.####
cpanel.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN AAAA 24##:####:####:####:####:####:####:#### ipv6.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN AAAA 24##:####:####:####:####:####:####:####
markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN TXT google-site-verification=

OTHER MAIL RECORDS
e######.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME ###############.##########.sendgrid.net
s1._domainkey.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME s1.domainkey.###############.##########
s2._domainkey.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN CNAME s2.domainkey.###############.##########

MAIL VERIFICATION RECORDS
markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN TXT v=spf1
default._domainkey.markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN TXT v=DKIM1;
markspallets.com.au. 14400 IN TXT v=DMARC1;

Fix that MX record:

1 Like

Thanks @sdayman,

Have made that change effective NOW with a 1 hour TTL (will make that longer once resolved).

Will check it again soon. Have to head out for an hour or two so will check when I return.

1 Like

I don’t bother with a long TTL. At worst, the extra second it takes for a DNS lookup isn’t going to add any significant delay to email delivery.

1 Like

Tentative testing (just before I go out the door) but just received test emails sent from Gmail > markspallets.com.au.

Will do more testing when I get home, but looking good so far.

1 Like

Hi @sandro and @sdayman,

Thank you both for not only your prompt replies, but for assisting me in this issue.

That message about MX records has disappeared, AND the problem has been 100% resolved.

DNSStuff is reporting the correct mail server now, however MXTOOLBOX is dragging it’s heels.

But it’s working and that’s the main thing. Whilst you were both correct (upon re-reading), I’ve marked Sdaymans solution as correct, as it visually indicates the issue we were having.

Thank you so much once again…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.