DNS Problem

Hi, I’m getting returned messages from GMAIL as follows:

<<< 550-5.7.1 [207.228.xxx.xx] The IP address sending this message does not have a
<<< 550-5.7.1 PTR record setup. As a policy, Gmail does not accept messages from
<<< 550-5.7.1 IPs with missing PTR records. Please visit
<<< 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
<<< 550 5.7.1 information. v87-v6si7827089qkl.303 - gsmtp
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

However, if I try and set a PTR record up, there is no ip address options. The cloudflare dns just asks for a “name” and a “domain name”.

So how do i create a PTR record to say that the reverse dns of 207.228.xxx.xx is “mail.mydomain.com” (or whatever needs to be done to solve the problem!)?

thanks

PTR records can only be set by the IP owner. You need Contact your hosting provider or ISP or check if you can set one from your control panel. If it is a shared IP you won’t get a PTR.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response.

The server is a dedicated server of mine, so I have full access to it.

I don’t understand how I can setup a PTR record on it, when my DNS is handled by Cloudflare?

thanks!

Basically:

Those are two different zones. One for your domain, and you can do with it wat you want. DNS entries are controlled by your registrar’s namserver or any custom nameserver (like CloudFlare)
domain.com

The second one is the ARPA zone, controlled by the owner of an IP address or netrange.
Let’s say your IP is 123.456.789.001 the ARPA entry looks like

001.987.654.321-in-addr.arpa

This zone has it’s own nameservers (ns1.godaddy.com, ns2.godaddy.com for example) so only the owner can make changes to this zone and point the IP to your domain. (PTR = pointer)