DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Error After R2 Cloudflare Storage Integration and Removal on my root domain

I’m facing an issue with my domain after attempting to integrate with Cloudflare’s R2 Storage and then reversing the changes. Post-integration, the domain was serving S3 objects via CNAME records that were added for R2. However, upon realizing this wasn’t suitable for my use case, I removed the domain from R2, expecting things to return to normal. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case.

Currently, when trying to access my domain, I’m greeted with a “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN” error. This leads me to suspect that there’s a DNS misconfiguration issue at play. Here are the steps I’ve already taken:

  1. Checked Cloudflare DNS settings for any misconfigurations.
  2. Cleared local DNS and browser caches to rule out caching issues.
  3. Waited over 48 hours to account for DNS propagation delays.

However, the problem persists. I’d appreciate any insights or suggestions on the following:

  • Are there specific DNS settings that I need to reconfigure post-R2 removal?
  • Could this be related to SSL/TLS settings or Cloudflare page rules?
  • Any other troubleshooting steps I should consider?

I’m looking to resolve this as smoothly as possible and would greatly value any guidance or experiences you might share.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

After removing the domain from R2, did you recreate your previous DNS records?

What is your domain?

Hi @catapricop,

Just like @Laudian mentioned, could you please let us know which domain are you referring to?

A DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error means that your DNS request timed out due to the inability to find the requested domain.

This might be due to a misconfiguration on your DNS records.

Could you please add a picture of your dashboard so we can see the DNS records you have in place?

Just a few other considerations:

  • Make sure your nameservers are properly configured and pointing to Cloudflare
  • Check if you do not have any page rule that might be affecting traffic for that domain

EDIT
I was able to locate the domain you were referring to. Please change the * on your 1st DNS record for a @ and see if that solves it.

2 Likes

Thank you jmesquita!

Replacing * with @ on the my root DNS record fixed the issue!

1 Like

Just to clarify further, if you want the apex domain to be resolvable (which we usually want), a zone must always have a @ record pointing to an origin.

Having a wildcard (*) for the apex domain will not cover the root domain, but only first level subdomain such as www.

That is why before you made the change from * to @, the site was working if you included the www in front of your root domain.

1 Like

Got it!
The thing is I didn’t look close enough at the DNS records after removing the domain from r2.
I just saw there are 2 records there and recalling that things used to work before connecting to r2 I didn’t pay much attention to it.

Thank you all so much for the prompt responses and for the help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.