DNS only records are exposing IPs

Wow, loving this dashboard with ajax answers and so on. Very cool indeed.

I realise there is plenty of advice and articles and posts about the entire …

“Some of your DNS only records are exposing IPs that are proxied through Cloudflare. Make sure to proxy all A, AAAA, and CNAME records pointing to proxied records to avoid exposing your origin IP.” thing.

So a simple question from me, maybe.

If my MX record for my sites mail is exposing the IP, then wouldn’t it make sense to delete that Cloudflare DNS Management entry altogether, whereby allowing the original servers to deal with the mail?

MX-RECORD-PROXIE-2020-12-28_8-13-04

In general yes, it would be simpler if your mail subdomain itself is unproxied so that it can process mail. Currently, the MX records CF is serving are probably being re-written to an auto-generated subdomain like mx-abcdefg.example.com which is unproxied :grey: so that mail can be delivered successfully. If you ‘fix’ the mail subdomain by un-proxying it yourself, your MX records will no longer be redirected to the auto-generated subdomain and will go straight to mail. Either way, receiving mail should work, but it’d be simpler without the subdomain being proxied.

So, don’t delete the record, just change the proxied status from proxied :orange: to DNS only :grey:.

1 Like

Hey yeah, makes sense @Judge. Thank you and have a ripper of a day.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.