DNS only load balancing

Hi, I did a simple load balancing using duplicated DNS records. for example I have three “sv1” sub-domains, each one has it’s own IPv4 and DNS queries are divided equally. My problem is that the bandwidth of these three servers are not equal. If there is 100 DNS queries, I want 60 of them to go to IP 100.100.100.1 and 30 of them to go to 100.100.100.2 and 10 of them to go to 100.100.100.3.

Generally speaking that’s not how DNS works. When a recursive resolver caches a response, all subsequent quarries within the TTL will get the same response. Over a long period, you will get that level of distribution, but on a short time frame per query distribution not so much

I think I didn’t explain well. I’m using this kind of load balancing for months and it works good.
I have three sub-domain like these:
sv1 : 1.1.1.1 (bandwidth : 50mbps)
sv1 : 1.1.1.2 (bandwidth : 50mbps)
sv1 : 1.1.1.3 (bandwidth : 50mbps)
With the above condition, traffic is really balanced with maximum bandwidth.
Question is that if we have servers like this:
sv1 : 1.1.1.1 (bandwidth : 100mbps)
sv1 : 1.1.1.2 (bandwidth : 50mbps)
sv1 : 1.1.1.3 (bandwidth : 25mbps)
sever 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 don’t use all of it’s bandwidth and all of three servers work with 25mbps.
I tried duplicating the A record “sv1 1.1.1.1” but cloudflare does not allow this.

To achieve weighted load balancing with Cloudflare, you can’t use duplicate DNS records as they don’t support weighted distribution. Instead, you should use Cloudflare’s Load Balancer service, which allows you to create pools with different servers and assign weights to them.

I think it’s not free and I live in a country that it’s complex to pay.

Yeah, it’s a paid service that starts at $5/month for two origins. If you can’t afford that, you’ll have to either accept the limitations of round-robin DNS load balancing, find a different DNS provider that offers weighted load balancing for free, or setup and run your own DNS server.

Thank you for your time

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.