DNS not well propagated?

Hello,

I’ve transferred a domain to my new provider yesterday and changed the DNS to Cloudflare ones. I have well configured the A and AAAA entries in Cloudflare and have activated the SSL / https certificate.

Now, when I go to the website using the https URL, it works and the website shows up on the new hosting. However, when I go to the URL without https, it points to the old hosting. I have checked “Always use https” in Cloudflare.

The domain is : -

Is it normal? Or is it linked to the DNS propagation time? Because in the meantime, some of my users that come from Google goes to the old hosting with the old DB on it, which is not ideal. In general, it’s much quicker with my other domains.

I automatically connect with https and am unable to get it connect with http.

It sounds like a caching issues to me. Try flushing your cache.

I’ve tried flushing my cache but no luck.

Shouldn’t the http redirect to https automatically with the settings I’v put in place?

Have you tried flushing your dns cache?

Yes, my browser’s cache and also my Mac OS cache with a command in the terminal… Same result.

Try doing curl -I example.com, with your domain under HTTP…

1 Like

Can you explain?

Here is the result :
MacBook:~ $ curl -I -

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 12:15:26 GMT

Server: Apache

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.38

Cache-Control: private, no-cache="set-cookie"

Expires: Mon, 27 May 2019 12:15:26 GMT

Set-Cookie: %5B%5Bcookie%5D%5D_u=1; expires=Tue, 26-May-2020 12:15:26 GMT; path=/; secure; HttpOnly

Set-Cookie: %5B%5Bcookie%5D%5D_k=; expires=Tue, 26-May-2020 12:15:26 GMT; path=/; secure; HttpOnly

Set-Cookie: %5B%5Bcookie%5D%5D_sid=1f0d17eeade357fc04ce09d8aaccc6d6; expires=Tue, 26-May-2020 12:15:26 GMT; path=/; secure; HttpOnly

Accept-Ranges: none

Vary: User-Agent

Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

The previous assessment was correct. You have something on your machine that point to another IP different from Cloudflare.

Have you checked in /etc/hosts'? What doesdig lemondedescroisieres.comreturn? Anddig www.lemondedescroisieres.com`?

The header for that request mentions Apache as a server, Cloudflare’s would be cloudflare.

1 Like

Here is what I get when I curl

In my hosts file, here is what I have :

127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost 

And dig lemondedescroisieres.com returns :

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> lemondedescroisieres.com

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42111

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;lemondedescroisieres.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

lemondedescroisieres.com. 3600 IN A 162.210.102.32

;; Query time: 184 msec

;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)

;; WHEN: Mon May 27 14:42:23 CEST 2019

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 69 

which seems to be pointing to the old host… So yes, still probably a cache issue.

What is the upstream DNS of your modem/router? That seems to report the old host…

Also the TTL is 1h, but I assume it’s longer than that since you switched, right?

Seems like they are these ones :
Primary DNS Bouygues Telecom : 194.158.122.10 and 2001:860:b0ff:1::1
Secondary DNS Bouygues Telecom : 194.158.122.15 and 2001:860:b0ff:1::2

It fails when I query them from my end, since I am not in their network… You need to try.

Same command as before: dig lemondedescroisieres.com @194.158.122.10

Thanks!

I get this result :

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> lemondedescroisieres.com @194.158.122.10

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15452

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;lemondedescroisieres.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

lemondedescroisieres.com. 3600 IN A 162.210.102.32

;; Query time: 186 msec

;; SERVER: 194.158.122.10#53(194.158.122.10)

;; WHEN: Mon May 27 16:05:14 CEST 2019

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 69

Which is wrong… I guess you should contact your ISP, then.

In the meantime (they are better regardless), change DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

Also: what is the reply of dig NS lemondedescroisieres.com @194.158.122.10?

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> NS lemondedescroisieres.com @194.158.122.10

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 7403

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;lemondedescroisieres.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:

lemondedescroisieres.com. 3600 IN NS dns1.supremecenter19.com.

lemondedescroisieres.com. 3600 IN NS dns2.supremecenter19.com.

;; Query time: 125 msec

;; SERVER: 194.158.122.10#53(194.158.122.10)

;; WHEN: Mon May 27 16:18:49 CEST 2019

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 107

That’s what I get.

If I use the Google DNS (8.8.8.8), it seems to be working…

Yeah, they have some issues on their DNS, contact them, they are most definitely not compliant to the spec.

I suggested Cloudflare’s own DNS, but the end result is the same.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.