DNS - Local DNS server and CloudFlare registered domain is the same. Need to point local A records to CloudFlare for Proxy

Good Day

I added our domain example.com to Cloudflare and registered all A records, CNAME’s, etc. I also have the domain example.com running on our local AD DNS server. Some public-facing entries in my local AD DNS are running at external data centers (For example AWS, Azure, etc). I want to make use of Cloudflare’s Proxy functionality for these entries.

The question is, where do I point the local DNS entries in my AD DNS? If I point them directly to the Public IP it bypasses the Cloudflare Proxy ofc, so I need a way to point local AD DNS A records to a Cloudflare resolver?

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

Your question technically has nothing to do with Cloudflare. This a general DNS management and Active Directory DNS question and as such the answers you receive in the Cloudflare Community will likely be limited.

It is a best practice to not use the same second level domain for both internal Active Directory DNS resources and public resources. The two most common approaches are to either use a dedicated third level subdomain or an altogether different second level domain.

If adopting one of those best practices is not feasible, you may be able to kludge something together, but the specifics will have to either come from another Community member or an external source.

You can point proxied records to Cloudflare using foo.example.comCNAME-> foo.example.com.cdn.cloudflare.net or potentially use conditional forwarders.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.