DNS hiearchy? Browser, Operating System, Router?

Hi.

This has been bugging me for awhile - is there some kind of hierarchy in terms of the address used to resolve DNS based on settings within your browser, operating system, and/or router?

For example, if I use 1.1.1.1 within Chrome’s settings, but my Windows 10 network settings point somewhere else - does the browser override the operating system? Or vice versa?

And if my router’s settings pointed to 1.1.1.1, for example, would this take precedence over the browser and/or operating system?

Thank you.

If Chrome/etc is set like so (in chrome://settings/security ):

Then it ignores the DNS server set by the operating system. If this specific setting is not turned on, then it uses whatever the operating system is set to.

While the operating systems can override DNS settings, it defaults to pulling DNS server configuration from the router:

This means that, unless you/someone changes their chrome or operating system settings, the DNS server in use will be whatever DNS settings you have set at your router. Otherwise, the router can’t force devices to send their DNS requests to a specific place.

@Judge Appreciate it.

Also, for users using a forward proxy (which is common in corporate environments), the DNS client is generally the forward proxy server, not the browser.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.