DNS Changed, no effect

Hi. I am new to the Cloudflare community. I am in the process of trying to update my current nameservers to active status with Cloudflare.

1. I also have the same issue but my msg comes up as,

2. I have 2 name servers provided by Cloudflare to replace in my DNS but I’m confused as i have 3 name servers listed. Do I replace all 3 and insert the required 2 by Cloudflare. I need some clarification on how best to “active status”
    I took a screenshot of my DNS info and just pm me for it.

Note: My hosting company does not provide tech support. They do handle my domain and hosts my website.

Thanks for help :smiley:

That sounds like a pretty hostile hosting company. I’d recommend you consider moving to another hosting provider in the future.

As for the WHOIS lookup, what is your domain? Your TLD (the last word after the dot, eg com or org) isn’t supported by that WHOIS lookup service.

1 Like

Hi Judge. Ironically…we used to have our site hosted by netfirms, however executives for my non profit org wanted to switch to our current hosting provider due to larger email capacity options and our site was directed to be migrated to them as well.

My domain is royalcity.ca

As for my other enquiry on my nameservers switchover concern…l await for direction on how best i can ensure my DNS is correctly modified.

Thanks Judge. Appreciate your input. :smiley:

1 Like

Your nameservers seem to be all over the place at the moment:

$ dig royalcity.ca
ns2.meganameservers.com.
ns3.meganameservers.com.
ns1.meganameservers.com.
$ whois royalcity.ca
Name Server: ns1.shawhosting.ca
Name Server: ns2.shawhosting.ca
Name Server: ns3.shawhosting.ca

https://www.whatsmydns.net/#NS/royalcity.ca

The zone currently shows as pending in your account and you’ll need to contact your domain registrar (tucows) to verify that they have removed all the old nameservers and have only two listed from Cloudflare, the two should be jason.ns.cloudflare.com & karina.ns.cloudflare.com. Once they do that change, it will take up to about 24 hours for us to see the change and activate your site on Cloudflare.

Hi cloonan. i checked with my hosting company and their ppl stated that

belongs to shaw.ca which is who hosts my site and where i have my domain registered with.

For clarification as stated earlier i did a screen shot based on my current dns profile , but what do I edit out, and where shall the 2 new jason.ns.cloudflare.com & karina.ns.cloudflare.com nameservers be applied in my dns?

Here is my ss.

Thanks again for assistance. :smiley:

Ah, got it, thank you. I’d leave the dns records as is for now. You want to give the two cloudflare nameserver names to your domain registrar and ask them to remove all the ones you have and replace them with the two from cloudflare. It will take about 24hrs for us to see that change and make your site active on cloudflare. At that point, we will have an idea of adjustments needed to the records, if any.

As per,
$ whois royalcity.ca
Name Server: ns1.shawhosting.ca
Name Server: ns2.shawhosting.ca
Name Server: ns3.shawhosting.ca

and/or
$ dig royalcity.ca
ns2.meganameservers.com.
ns3.meganameservers.com.
ns1.meganameservers.com.

I request any of the above to be removed but don’t touch my current dns records.

Note: Btw, unfornuately my host support doesn’t intervene to make chgs to what is in my control panel options due to their liability constraints. But its very good to know I don’t need to tweak my current dns records. l’ll give them a call right now and see if they can modify the nameserver changeover and post back here their response. Thanks cloonan :smiley:

1 Like

Hi again. I contacted my host provider. In so far as dns records, where it states +add record, I will add on 2 separate lines to indicate my 2 from cloudflare. He didn’t state that my previous name servers as for mentioned needed to be removed.

My other concern is to create this changeover now or later as it may affect my email status while its propagating over the next several hours.

1 Like

Yes, it is very good to be conscientious! That’s the part I’m not sure about with your existing DNS mail (MX) records. You can use this tutorial to step you through the process, Troubleshooting Email Delivery Issues when using Cloudflare. And, this tutorial gives a general checklist to follow to avoid downtime.
How to eliminate (or minimise) downtime when adding your domain to Cloudflare

And, you will need to remove the other nameservers, which should be obvious in their UI (I’m guessing). But, we have seen instances of odd hosts not allowing changes, if you’re stymied when trying to remove them, it’s worth clarifying that with your host before you spin hours.

Thanks to you cloonan and to those that replied my specific concern(s) associated with someone’s original thread. And for the 2 additional leads from your last reply. Duly noted and hopefully I can achieve the required active status.

Thanks Cloudflare community! :smiley: