DNS Assistance with creating an A, AAAA, or CNAME record

Hello all,

This is my first time using Cloudflare for the website Visual Society. I tried following the directions to add a CNAME for my website, which was successful (I think), but it won’t let me add an A or AAAA name along with it. Im not sure what the problem is, and I would appreciate some assistance.

You’re trying to type in a domain name for the IPv6 address. It’s not common to add AAAA records for domains. It’s more common to add an “A” record with an IP address, like 12.34.56.78.

1 Like

Hi sdayman! I tried the IPv4 address and that didn’t work either for the A record

These records are determined by your web host. You’ll need to contact them to find out how your DNS records should be set up.

Cloudflare won’t let me add an A, AAAA, or CNAME record for your root domain so that my website will resolve. How do I fix this?

Why not? Do you get an error?

1 Like

yup, the value bar always goes red when I try to save the website, but it doesn’t show what’s wrong

Do you have any existing records at the root of the domain?

From what I’ve seen, no. I’ve searched on ultra tools.com

Are you entering the @ symbol in the Name field? I get this behaviour if I enter a value without specifying anything in the name field.

1 Like

I already responded to this issue in my first post in this thread.

I tried, but I still get a red bar in the value part

Thank you for your response. I didn’t know how to get into contact with the web host. Are those the people I bought the website domain from?

I presume by ‘value part’ you mean the address/target field.

I can replicate by putting in invalid data, like 1.1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1…1 for an IPv4 address,

yup! and it looks just like that! I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’ve tried the @ and the www. in the “name” section and my website title with and without the .com in the “IPv4 address.”

I’m not sure if I’m explaining my problem properly, this is my first time using Cloudflare for a website, so im not sure how to go about this.