DMARC Security alert email from another company

Hey there - 
I got this email randomly. I don't know if it's legit and I need to take action, or it's some sort of phishing.

Can someone who understands this better than me help me know what to do next or resolve this issue?

Pasting email:

Dear owner or system administrator of `bottledlightning.co`

We are cybersecurity researchers from Grenoble Alpes University, performing scans to identify vulnerable DMARC records.

Our scans performed on 2022-09-15 revealed that the following DMARC record of the `[bottledlightning.co]` domain name is misconfigured:

v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; rua=mailto:`[[email protected]](mailto:[email protected])`; pct=91; ruf=mailto:`[[email protected]](mailto:[email protected])`;

The following email address specified in the RUA/RUF tag belong to an unregistered domain name:

- `[[email protected]](mailto:[email protected]) (`[bottledlighting.co]`)`
The domain name could potentially be registered and configured by a malicious actor to receive DMARC reports belonging to `[bottledlightning.co]`.

The error could be caused by a misspelled domain name in the address or a previous domain name used for DMARC monitoring that is no longer registered.

We strongly recommend you modify your record.

It’s telling you that you typoed your email address in your DMARC record. bottledlighting.co instead of bottledlightning.co.

1 Like

Augh - bloody typo!! THANK You for spotting that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.