Disable DNS records

As the title says - would be nice to be able to temporarily disable some DNS records instead of removing them permanently. These records would be removed for public access, pero still stored in the internal cloudflare database. In combination with Notes to DNS records and Grouping DNS entries (probably with an option to disable a whole group of DNS records) would help in migration process, debugging and testing of many kinds.

Thank you.

If I would need to disable an DNS record, I would rather delete it or make sure it is :grey: cloud (DNS only) to not use Cloudflare for that specific hostnames.

• while there is an option to export DNS records and save them as a .txt file for later … which could be kept at some Git or other way in case of versioning and keeping the changes of it …

Maybe I am wrong, but, just an opinion from my point of view.
Do you have an example of it maybe? (to get better understanding)

Well, right now we have to do exactly what you described - save/export (or sometimes just rename) these records and then, when needed recreate them again… But having a checkbox/button to disable the record would be much more comfortable.
Just and example: let’s say I am moving some domain from one server to another… I’m setting some records to point to the new IP, but if something goes wrong and I need to switch back, I would have to recreate/import these records. But if some of the records work and not others (web ok, but mail broken, etc), the import wouldn’t do the trick. This is perfectly achievable disabling old records and creating new ones and disabling/enabling then back and forth.
Also sometimes you just do not remember if some record is still in use - you may disable it temporarily and after some time remove it if everithing is ok.

1 Like

If it could be related, may I ask have you tried experimenting a little with the Cloudflare Terraform?

Just to note here, an A mail record should always be :grey: cloud (DNS only) to make it work when a domain is using Cloudflare proxy.

1 Like

I have never seen Cloudflare Terraform, but while it looks very powerfull, seems overkill for my proposal…

P.S.: and about this

Just to note here, an A mail record should always be :grey: cloud (DNS only) to make it work when a domain is using Cloudflare proxy.

I mostly do not use proxy option at all - only on some webs… and never on services like email, api endpoints, etc… So not a problem. My example of broken email service was mostly abstract, but it may be poorly configured server, missed certificates, email accounts, blocked ports, etc

1 Like