Digitalocean App Platform: DNS settings not updating through proxy after replacing CNAME with A record

Hello,

I have troubles with my DNS settings after replacing a CNAME record pointing to Digitalocean App Platform with an A record pointing to a different server. The CNAME was proxied and everything was working fine. After replacing the CNAME record with a proxied A record pointing to a different server, the proxy still serves the content from the old server.

Before:
CNAME www example.com + Proxy active

(The CNAME was pointing to Digitalocean App Platform)

After:
A www IPv4 + Proxy active

(The A record is not pointing to Digitalocean any longer)

Debugging attempts:

• Everything works fine when deactivating the proxy
  • I have already tried to purge the cache which did not make a difference
  • I have already tried to put the website in development mode which did not make a difference
  • I have already deleted the entire site from my Cloudflare account and did a fresh setup of the domain which did not make a difference (however, I was allocated the same DNS server again)

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Many thanks

I believe I have narrowed down the problem to a specific issue with the Digitalocean App platform.

When I point a domain to the Digitalocean App platform using a proxied CNAME record on Cloudflare, I cannot replace the proxied CNAME record with a proxied A record pointing to a different server on Cloudflare without deleting the Domain from Digitalocean first. As long as the domain is still added to the App on Digitalocean, Cloudflare delivers the Digitalocean content through the proxy even though everything is set up differently on Cloudflare.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Add domain to Digitalocean App platform
  2. Set up proxied CNAME record pointing to Digitalocean on Cloudflare
    => Cloudflare delivers Digitalocean content (correct)
  3. Remove proxied CNAME record pointing to Digitalocean from Cloudflare
  4. Add proxied A record pointing to a different server on Cloudflare (using same domain name)
    => Cloudflare still delivers Digitalocean content (wrong)
  5. Remove domain from Digitalocean App platform
    => Cloudflare delivers content from new server (correct)

I have updated my initial post to reflect this finding for future issue searches.
Does anyone else experience this issue?

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.