Different Statuses Between Browsers

Hi, I have a question regarding the new DNS resolver. I’ve been having issues connecting to it for a while now, and it seems that I finally got it to work.

Now comes the weird part.

For some background, I’ve recently changed the DNS settings on all my network adapters to Cloudflare because 1.1.1.1/help didn’t show that I was connected to the DNS resolver. This was not the first time it happened. I’d tried to set up my networks previously, and it’d always fail. However, today I tried entering the diagnostics section of the site with Edge (my main browser. I do understand Chrome exists, but it just doesn’t sync as well between my other devices). As usual, it showed that I wasn’t connected to 1.1.1.1.

However, this time I also tried visiting the site in Chrome. To my surprise, it displayed that I was connected to 1.1.1.1! How can this be? Does anyone know why the two browsers show different statuses?

I don’t know if this’ll have any effect, but I did exit the Edge browser several times and retry the tests after I did the one on Chrome. I have also flushed the DNS cache using “ipconfig /flushdns”, as well as from the Edge browser itself (edge://net-internals/#dns). This still had no effect on the tests.

In case this helps:
Edge test: https://1.1.1.1/help#eyJpc0NmIjoiTm8iLCJpc0RvdCI6Ik5vIiwiaXNEb2giOiJObyIsInJlc29sdmVySXAtMS4xLjEuMSI6IlllcyIsInJlc29sdmVySXAtMS4wLjAuMSI6IlllcyIsInJlc29sdmVySXAtMjYwNjo0NzAwOjQ3MDA6OjExMTEiOiJObyIsInJlc29sdmVySXAtMjYwNjo0NzAwOjQ3MDA6OjEwMDEiOiJObyIsImRhdGFjZW50ZXJMb2NhdGlvbiI6IlNJTiIsImlzV2FycCI6Ik5vIiwiaXNwTmFtZSI6IlBUIFRlbGtvbSBJbmRvbmVzaWEiLCJpc3BBc24iOiIxNzk3NCJ9

Chrome test:
https://1.1.1.1/help#eyJpc0NmIjoiWWVzIiwiaXNEb3QiOiJObyIsImlzRG9oIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0xLjEuMS4xIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0xLjAuMC4xIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0yNjA2OjQ3MDA6NDcwMDo6MTExMSI6Ik5vIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0yNjA2OjQ3MDA6NDcwMDo6MTAwMSI6Ik5vIiwiZGF0YWNlbnRlckxvY2F0aW9uIjoiU0lOIiwiaXNXYXJwIjoiTm8iLCJpc3BOYW1lIjoiQ2xvdWRmbGFyZSIsImlzcEFzbiI6IjEzMzM1In0=

How did you set DNS entries ?

Just to note, unless you local DNS resolver supports DoH, the Chrome test is DoH. See https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/dns-over-https. It’s likely, It maybe that Chrome is directly query DoH, I know Firefox supports this and by pass your IP configuration. You can try the Apps here https://1.1.1.1/

1 Like

@user6042 Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve now solved it. Turns out it didn’t work because a setting on Edge disables DoH. There’s supposed to be an option to use a custom DNS provider, but the official version of Edge (at least the one I have), doesn’t have that option. In the end, here’s what I did:

  1. Download Microsoft Edge from the DEV channel.
  2. Enabled “Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites” and set the DNS to Cloudflare’s. This setting is also available on the official stable release, but for some reason no options show up when I try to enter a custom provider on the field. The dev channel, however, has this issue fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.