Different Analytics Results, Check Settings

Background: My root domain and DNS is managed by Cloudflare. My site is also deployed on Cloudflare Pages. I also have allowed search engine bots. For my client’s privacy, I did not install Cloudflare Analytics’ client side Javascript.

I enabled Web Analytics on both my pages.dev and root domain. For my root domain, I have enabled it for 3 days. For pages.dev, it is mostly off. It is on momentarily.

Oddly, I could see traffic on Account Analytics. However when I switched to Web Analytics for my root domain with bots excluded, it has been empty throughout.

1. Does Cloudflare Analytics require client side Javascript to work?
  2. If I don’t have client side Javascript, what data am I missing out?
  3. Does Cloudflare Analytics come with consent dialogs, so I don’t need to create and manage it?
  4. Based on my description, is there anything wrong with my analytics settings?

Thanks!

Account Analytics is from server-side request analytics

Cloudflare Web Analytics does, yes.
When enabled in Cloudflare Pages it adds the JS Snippet to your site in the next deployment
When enabled on a proxied website, Cloudflare automagically adds the JS Snippet.

Web Analytics, yes. Account Analytics and the overview analytics/analytics tab in your website Analytics & Logs → Traffic are server-side.

Web Analytics

Web Analytics don’t use cookies: Cloudflare Web Analytics

Cloudflare Web Analytics does not use any client-side state, such as cookies or localStorage, to collect usage metrics. We also don’t “fingerprint” individuals via their IP address, User Agent string, or any other data for the purpose of displaying analytics.

Cloudflare also has a page on GDPR if that’s your concern: Cloudflare and GDPR compliance

If you need consent management, Cloudflare Zaraz does have a consent management functionality and lets you execute tools on consent.

There’s a nice overview of Cloudflare analytics here:

I would ask: Which Web Analytics is empty? Is it the one for your site? Do you have automatic setup disabled? Do you have non-bots, real clients who can execute Javascript and do not have adblockers visiting?