Delegating only a third level zone (a.b.com) to cloudflare

dns

I am in the process of trying out cloudflare. I host my own DNS (b.com), and I have created a distinct third level zone (a.b.com). I put glue records in the b.com zone and setup the a.b.com zone in its own separate file. (I am using BIND on linux boxes). Testing this on intodns.com gives a green light (save for a “WARNING: Looks like the parent servers do not have information for your TLD when asked. This is ok but can be confusing.”)

However when I try to add this zone to cloudflare’s control panel I get:

Please ensure you are providing the root domain and not any subdomains (e.g., example.com, not subdomain.example.com) (Code: 1116)

I have tried a few variations (set an A record for the a.b.com either in the parent, child or both zones) withouth obtaining any change.

Is what I am trying to do possible? I do not want to delegate the entire DNS management of b.com over to cloudflare.

Main domain Route53, delegating sub-domain to Cloudflare

Subdomain signup is possible on out enterprise plans. You might also look into Cloudflare’s CNAME signup option depending on your actual use case.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.