Delayed Activation of Cloudflare Services

Hello everyone,

I updated the nameservers for my domain (epicrapid.com) to use Cloudflare’s services over 24 hours ago, but I have yet to receive a confirmation email regarding activation. According to Cloudflare, nameserver changes can take up to 24 hours to process (though it’s often faster).

As I await activation, my Cloudflare status remains on “pending”, and I’m wondering if this is normal or if I might have missed a step. Could someone advise on how long this might take or if there’s anything specific I should do to resolve this issue? Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

The Cloudflare nameservers have not been set at your registrar…
https://cf.sjr.org.uk/tools/check?3cc4916aba8a44aa8606f6a46affbe9f#whois

2 Likes

In my case they have, actually they have everyplace other than cloudflare:

; <<>> DiG 9.18.18-0ubuntu0.22.04.2-Ubuntu <<>> deepthot_org ns @1.1.1.1
;; ANSWER SECTION:
deepthot_org. 14400 IN NS ns2.dreamhost_com.
deepthot_org. 14400 IN NS ns3.dreamhost_com.
deepthot_org. 14400 IN NS ns1.dreamhost_com.
; <<>> DiG 9.18.18-0ubuntu0.22.04.2-Ubuntu <<>> deepthot_org ns @8.8.8.8
;; ANSWER SECTION:
deepthot_org. 21600 IN NS kim_ns_cloudflare.com.
deepthot_org. 21600 IN NS kobe_ns_cloudflare.com.

So, what do I do?

ah and I replaced most of the '.'s with '_'s since the message system is confused as to what is a link and what is not.

The OP has fixed their issue…
https://cf-dev.sjr.org.uk/tools/check?4e86f67526ba4233a998f196ada8bd11#dns

Confused me there as a this is a different user and domain.

1.1.1.1 is Cloudflare’s public resolver, not the nameservers that are authorativitve for your domain, so changes need to propagate as normal.

In your case, your problem is you have one non-Cloudflare nameserver set at your registrar. You must only use the 2 Cloudflare nameservers given…
https://cf.sjr.org.uk/tools/check?ae7388215abe4480a80e075dc81739c0#whois

Well, that’s annoying. I’ve been running my own name server on the internet since 1994. It’s also weird that to change it I’m going to have to delete my nameserver on cloudflare. It seems like if that was the problem it’s a cloudflare problem, they could have told me that they weren’t going to let me do my own name server.

I’m not sure what you are trying to do.

You’ve used Dreamhost’s nameservers for this domain since 2016. You can delegate to your own nameservers for subdomains from Cloudflare if that’s what you are wanting to do (those subdomains can’t then use any Cloudflare protections or features of course, and you can’t delegate for the domain itself).

Or you can use your own nameservers with a Partial (CNAME) setup on Cloudflare, but that needs a Business or Enterprise plan.

Yes, I was thinking I was going to have to move my registrar to here. If all I want is to do DNS, that’s not necessary? If so, cool, I’m glad I didn’t waste the renewal to dreamhost. I guess I can’t do dnssec though, which may become an issue.

Ideally I want my bind daemon to be authoritative with cloudflare as secondary, however what I mostly want is for my automation to be able to add services to my domain. Dreamhost doesn’t have an API, so I had to move it if I wanted to do this.

Requires an Enterprise plan…

Cloudflare has an API that can configure the DNS (and other features).

You don’t need to use Cloudflare Registrar to use any Cloudflare feature. Cloudflare’s registrar offering is just an at-cost benefit to Cloudflare customers, but means you cannot change the nameservers away from Cloudflare without transferring the domain out. Not a problem if you are using Cloudflare services, but many people miss the warning then complain that they can’t use other nameservers.

If supported by your registrar you can of course use DNSSEC on Cloudflare.

I need to look into DNSSEC, I think I had it when I was on dreamhost.
But, yes, the API is precisely why I moved my domain here. I might turn on proxying after I’m comfortable with everything working. I’m used to doing my own security.

FWIW I tend to do things the hard way so that I learn more. I want to have my domain attacked so I know that when I do this professionally it will work as well as it does for me.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.