Degraded performance with Cloudflare DNS

We’ve setup a CNAME for to point to

Using the former on the browser is intermittently resulting in degraded performance, with requests taking too long to resolve. While the latter works as expected.

We’ve tried enabling and disabling the proxy, neither seems to help.

Here are some WebPageTest results:

Again, since the origin server is consistently responding as expected, we are starting to believe that the issue is with Cloudflare DNS.

Help, please?

May I ask if the CNAME record (the hostname) is proxied and set to :orange: or rather unproxied and set to :grey: (DNS-only)?

Before moving to Cloudflare, was your Website working over HTTPS connection?

May I ask what SSL option have you got selected under the SSL/TLS tab at Cloudflare dashboard for your domain ( Flexible, Full, Full Strict … )?

Based on the service type, may I ask if you are uploading or downloading something?
Furthermore, you are not the only customer of them, correct?

1 Like


We’ve tried with and without the proxy both. Performance degradation is more severe with the proxy than without. (The WebPageTest results attached in the original post might give you a better idea).

The website is being served over SSL.

We have opted for Full SSL/TLS encryption mode.

We are only using the CNAME for displaying a pretty, custom URL to our end consumers. Not uploading or downloading any data through this.

FeatureMonkey does have a lot more customers. According to their support, we’re the only ones who have run into this issue. And since their origin servers are consistently responding as expected, they don’t seem to be at fault. Things are only breaking for us when we insert Cloudflare in between.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.