Dealing with Cloudflare Error 1016: Seeking Resolution

Hello everyone,

Recently, some of my users have been experiencing an “Error 1016” when attempting to access my website. However, the site works perfectly fine for me personally. After contacting my hosting provider, I was advised to reach out to Cloudflare support for further assistance.

This issue concerns me as I want to ensure that all users can access my site without any hindrances. I kindly request Cloudflare support to help me identify the cause of this problem and provide guidance on how to resolve it.

Attached to this post, I’m sending screenshots of the DNS settings I have configured on Cloudflare. I hope this information will assist in diagnosing the issue.

Thank you in advance for your support and prompt response.

Error 1016 means Origin DNS error. It means Cloudflare cannot resolve the origin web server’s IP address.

Common causes for Error 1016 are:

• A missing DNS A record that mentions origin IP address.
  • A CNAME record in the Cloudflare DNS points to an unresolvable external domain.
  • The origin hostnames (CNAMEs) in your Cloudflare Load Balancer default, region, and fallback pools are unresolvable. Use a fallback pool configured with an origin IP as a backup in case all other pools are unavailable.
  • When creating a Spectrum app with a CNAME origin, you need first to create a CNAME on the Cloudflare DNS side that points to the origin. Please see Spectrum CNAME origins for more details.
  • There is no DNS record for the hostname in the Cloudflare for SaaS target zone.

Check more at Troubleshooting Cloudflare 1XXX errors · Cloudflare Support docs.

Your www hostname loaded fine for me. It redirects to your apex name which loaded fine as well.

You have an extra DMARC record that will prove troublesome. I recommend deleting the shorter of the two. Keep the one that will send reports to your Cloudflare DMARC Management console.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.