I have had two tickets open for support with no response
My entire dashboard is not working. It is displaying some authentication error ribbon at the bottom of the page. None of my websites/domains are available. I have adjustments to make on domains that are impacting service availability or functionality and NOTHING is available on my dashboard. HELP!!
I am having trouble logging into the dashboard and accessing my account. The login works and I’m asked for my two-factor auth code. After successfully entering it, I’m able to get to the account overview.
Whenever I try to access anything, i receive a notification with either error code 10000 or error code 9109 and the action can not be executed, effectively locking me out of my account.
Does anyone know a solution to this, is my account maybe compromised?
I also cannot open a support ticket, due to the support page being blank.
Expected result: Can access domain and change dns entries
Actual result: Cannot access anything due to 10000 & 9109 errors
Things I tried:
Using a different browser and device: Edge Windows, Firefox Windows, Chrome Android
Reset password ( changing is working, after login same issue as before)
I have been waiting for over a week for anyone to respond to me. Exact same thing on my end. I have multiple tickets in with support and complete radio silence. Submitted a post on here and nothing again.
Same here. I understand free users are not a priority, but I would like to know if there is anything being done about the issue in the near future, or if I should move my domain off of Cloudflare if I want to make any changes to my configuration.
Thank you for your patience in this. I have reached out to the tech that has been working with you on this ticket and we are going to be escalting the issue to our engineering team. We will update you from ticket 2722879 shortly.
I made no change personally to establish a resolution. My case was escalated to the internal team, and Cloudflare had to resolve the matter on their end. I received notice from Cloudflare on resolution, and my dashboard is now accessible again.