Custom Error Page when Blocking USA?

I would like to present visitors from the USA with a custom error page, rather than with my site.
I am using the firewall to block visitors from the USA.

I haven’t been able to get this to work, and, indeed, there is a note in the support pages (https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172706-Configuring-Custom-Pages-Error-and-Challenge-) that says “If Cloudflare cannot load your site or you have blocked the United States (US) via [IP Access Rules] or Firewall Rules, publishing and previewing the error page will not work.”

Does this mean that there is no way to block users from the USA and present them with a custom error page? Or is there a way around it?

To be clear, I HAVE been able to upload the custom error page, and I can preview it. But when a user from the USA hits my site, they get the standard error page rather than the custom one. Thanks!

What that message means is that you have a firewall block for the US, hence Cloudflare cannot import your custom page. You will need to temporarily disable that, import your page, and then re-enable it.

1 Like

Ah! And, more to the point, “D’oh!”

Thanks very much; you just made my week.

1 Like

Pleasure

No worries, these happen to me most of the time :smile:

OK, so I was able to “Publish” my custom error page. When I go to “Preview” it, that’s the error page I see. But when a user from the US (like myself…) goes to the site, they get the standard Error 1020, “This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks” page.

Does it simply take time to propagate the custom error page?

Did you publish it under the right category?

Well of course I think I did. :slight_smile:
I published it under the " IP/Country Block" category.

That’s IP access rules, 1020 refers to firewall rules however.

You’d probably have to customise “1000 Class Errors”.

1 Like

Thanks, I think you nailed it!

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.