CSS Cacheing Driving Me Crazy

Hello, I am using Cloudflare for the 1st time and have an HTML/PHP website.

I am updating my css file and no matter what I try, I can not see the changes in any browser or on any device.

I have tried Purging Everything in PURGE CACHE under Caching/Configuration.

I have tried turning ON Development Mode.

Nothing works. I just want to be able to see all my changes as soon as I make them online.

Help!

Thanks,
Chris

Are we talking about https://bestcampingreviews.com/css/main.css?

Right now Cloudflare can’t reach your server at all? Do you have the correct address configured on Cloudflare?

Hi Sandro,

My website is currently in propagation as I was trying to solve the problem myself.

It seems Bluehost automatically included Cloudflare CDN with my account. Then I signed up for CloudFlare directly and the Purge Everything and Development Mode didn’t seem to work.

So, I asked Bluehost to delete the Cloudflare CDN on their side hoping that if the only Cloudflare I had on my account is directly with Cloudflare. I hope that is the correct thing to do as I thought the double-up in Cloudflare was causing this issue.

So, they told me now I have to wait for propagation to occur.

Maybe you can help me when things are back up?

Thanks,
Chris

1 Like

I don’t think this is a propagation issue. Your domain currently points to houston and ligia. These are your nameservers, right? If so, it is not a propagation issue but either your server is down or Cloudflare points to the wrong server. Check that.

1 Like

Hi Sandro,

Bluehost keeps telling me that before my site was on their free version of Cloudflare and that now that I had that removed their is propagation time before the site will be up as it is now on Bluehost servers.

When I launched the site 2 days ago, I then joined Cloudflare separately and pointed the nameservers at houston and ligia as instructed by my Cloudflare account.

Hope this helps.

What do you mean by Cloudflare pointing at the wrong server? Not sure how to change where Cloudflare points?..don’t I just point it at bestcampingreviews.com?

Chris

This is not a propagation issue. The domain is already on Cloudflare. Does the IP address you currently have configured on Cloudflare end in 131?

One interesting thing is, sitemeer.com/#https://bestcampingreviews.com/ returns for a few locations actually a 200.

Assuming you have the right IP address configured, it would currently appear to me as if your host blocked at least certain Cloudflare datacentres.

1 Like

Hang on, you switched back to your host’s nameservers. Now there can be propagation issues, but that still is unrelated to Cloudflare not being able to connect.

1 Like

Ok, site is up and working on Bluehost nameservers and I have no issues with html or css updating instantly when I upload via FTP.

Now, I want to connect the site to Cloudflare to improve speed and help with caching.

Can I now do this by changing the nameservers to the ones specified by Cloudflare where I login?

Will I have the issue with css and possibly html not updating if I Purge Everything or turn on Development Mode?

Chris

1 Like

You need to address my earlier responses.

Switching nameservers back and forth is not a good idea as that will really get you propagation issues. I suggest you switch to Cloudflare but keep Cloudflare paused for the time being (bottom right on the Overview screen).

1 Like

Ok, so I am currently on BlueHost name servers. I have Cloudflare paused.

All is working wonderfully in terms of seeing instant changes to CSS and HTML uploaded via FTP.

Website is: bestcampingreviews.com

Now…obviously this means nothing is being cached and site is a “bit slower” because there is no CDN according to GTMetrix.

So, should I not try pointing Nameservers at Cloudflare and starting from scratch with the process?

1 Like

yes the IP address ends in 131 - the IP address is a shared Bluehost plan.

1 Like

If you want to use Cloudflare, point the domain to Cloudflare’s nameservers and keep it that way.

2 Likes

And no, it does not appear as if you had the right address configured on Cloudflare. Go through your Cloudflare DNS records and make sure the configured IP addresses are correct.

1 Like

I did not make any entries to the DNS on Coudflare.

1 Like

Then you probably imported the wrong entries.

1 Like

Should I delete the account and start from scratch?

1 Like

Probably the best at this point. You don’t need to delete the account, just remove the domain from your Cloudflare account, wait a couple of hours, and then start from scratch.

1 Like

I assume you are not on a paid plan, right?

1 Like

Ok, will do. Thanks.

When I re-set things up, is do the Purge Everything or Development Mode options help when I update the CSS file on my site so that I can see the changes instantly? I will be making lots of changes to this for the next few weeks.

1 Like

No, not right now.

1 Like