Creating an email subdomain

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to make an email subdomain so that all email for @domain.com is unaffected but I can make a new mx record for @subdomain.domain.com that will route elsewhere?

Hi there,

I can’t see why not. Simply create an MX record with the subdomain you need it to be:

Take care.

1 Like

OK but to me that just seems it will route all email for the whole domain to that mx record name

I don’t know why you think that. It definitely won’t.

Email is routed to the hostname returned by the MX records of the name to the right of the @.

Mail for [email protected] will be sent to the hostname found in the MX for example.com.

Mail for [email protected] will be sent to the hostname found in the MX for subdomain.example.com.

Mail for [email protected] will NOT be sent to the hostname found in the MX for example.com.

2 Likes

Well if I make an MX called mail for mail.domain.com it will route all mail there. I could still email @mail.domain.com but it would break domain.com email.

No it won’t. As @epic.network described that’s not how mail routing works.

are you saying that mail.domain.com does not affect the domain.com email?

We aren’t saying that. The MX record of the FQDN to the right of the @ sign is saying that.

Without giving too large of a lesson in how email routing works, it is also important to understand that when the delivery domain does not publish an MX, delivery will be attempted directly to the host as described in RFC 5321 § 5.1.

This means that if you published MX records for example.com to a valid hostname of mail.example.com where your mailserver is, and you had no MX records for mail.example.com, you would still see delivery attempts to mail.example.com if you sent email to [email protected]. How that delivery attempt is handled depends on the mailserver configuration.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.