Connecting Domain to Bluehost

Hi everyone! I have purchased a domain through Cloudflare but I am using Bluehost/Wordpress to build my website. Recently, I have been trying to finish setting up my website domain to Bluehost but I do not know if I am doing it right.

Here are some screen shots that show what I have added to the DNS records so far. Please let me know if I have made any errors!

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

From the screenshots you’ve provided, it appears that you have added NS records for Bluehost within your Cloudflare DNS settings. This is not the correct way to point your domain to Bluehost. Instead, you should remove those NS records and add the A record pointing to your Bluehost IP address, and a CNAME record for ‘www’ pointing to your domain name. Here’s how you can correct it:

1. Remove the NS records for ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com.
  2. Ensure you have an A record pointing to the IP address provided by Bluehost for your hosting account (replace the existing A record if necessary).
  3. Add or confirm that a CNAME record for ‘www’ exists and points to your root domain (e.g., www is an alias of example.com).

Make sure to save the changes and allow some time for DNS propagation.

2 Likes

Thank you! I have removed the two NS records and left the correct A & CNAME records. Should the proxy status and TTL stay the same? I am assuming now I need to just wait 24-48 hours?

Unless you have a reason not to, I would leave the TTL set to Auto.

:orange: Proxied vs :grey: DNS Only is a little more complicated. Let’s see if we can figure it out.

Do you already have WordPress installed on your Bluehost? If so, what happens when you try to visit the site?

Yes I already have WordPress! The website is basically almost finished. When I try to visit my domain, it takes me to the W.I.P screen of my website, but with the placeholder/bluehost domain instead (Bluehost says its a temporary domain until my actual domain finishes “setting up”).

1 Like

That information is helpful. It sounds like Bluehost checks for your DNS to return your assigned IP address prior to completing setup. Toggling from :orange: to :grey: will expose your assigned Bluehost IPs, which should compete the setup, if that is indeed what Bluehost is looking for at this step.

If it doesn’t detect that change right away, I would check again later. I don’t expect that it would take 48 hours, but it definitely should not be any longer than that.

You may be able to set the hostnames back to :orange: proxied once Bluehost has finished activating your site.

Keep us posted and don’t hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

1 Like

Thank you! It seems like this worked because while going to check the Site Connecting page in Bluehost, it finally says correct DNS records detected (with the IP address). It also says to wait up for 72 hours for propagation.

Thank you and it’s silly the solution was so simple!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.