Confused with DNS config

A little help,

I am trying to get site to work though cloudflare.

I have changed nameservers on host site (inmotionhosting)

Have added A record (Unable to add cname for some reason). I have checked your support records bt still confused.

Site not working, I have spoke to inmotionhosting and they have confirmed everything is correct their side. Is it possible you could check and advise what I have done wrong on this side? (the ip address being used inmotionhosting gave to me)

Thank you

You need to change the nameservers at your registrar’s not your host.

But let’s start with what the domain is.

Hi Sandro,

Yes the name servers on inmotionhosting which is the registra were changed (registra and host are same company I use for both) , they confirmed to me that they were correct, and gave me the IP which I used in cloudflare DNS.

1 Like

APlogies, locatiblevision.com

What’s your encryption mode? Make sure it is “Full strict”.

Also, your “www” record is missing. If you need that you should add it.

Thank You for help thus far. I have changed it to full encryption just now.

I went to add www record, but can not see www in the drop down (the drop down where A, cname etc are listed when you go to add a record), can you possibly advise?

Found this https://support.cloudways.com/creating-a-record-cloudflare/ so following that right now

“www” is the name, not the type. You best add an A record, name it “www” and point it to the same address as the naked domain.

However your DNS records generally seem a bit off, as your MX record is missing as well. Did you make sure everything got imported when you added the domain?

Also, does your server IP address end in 219? If so, you would not have a valid SSL certificate on your server and that would not work either. Your host would need to properly configured that too.

The IP address was given to me by inmotionhosting, I also asked them to check the SSL, which they did and ran sutoSSL on the domain.

I followed the guide I posted a min ago, and i now get directed to the test page on the site. SO it seems to be working.

I will now go and look at the MX record, and see if I can fix that.

Thank you for your help

If so, your SSL setup is still broken I am afraid. Your host needs to fix that.

I ran a SSL test and the findings are good. Here is print out of it.

These results were cached from April 1, 2021, 2:00 pm PST to conserve server resources.
If you are diagnosing a certificate installation problem, you can get uncached results by clicking here.

### www.locatiblevision.com resolves to 172.67.154.221
### Server Type: cloudflare
### The certificate should be trusted by all major web browsers (all the correct intermediate certificates are installed).
###

The certificate will expire in 363 days. Remind me|
||### The hostname (www.locatiblevision.com) is correctly listed in the certificate.|

Server:
Common name: sni.cloudflaressl.com
SANs: sni.cloudflaressl.com, locatiblevision.com, *.locatiblevision.com
Organization: Cloudflare, Inc.
Valid from March 30, 2021 to March 30, 2022
Serial Number: 014b95972f63b3e383f54424bb277694
Signature Algorithm: ecdsa-with-SHA256
Issuer: Cloudflare Inc ECC CA-3

Chain
Common name: Cloudflare Inc ECC CA-3
Organization: Cloudflare, Inc.
Valid from January 27, 2020 to December 31, 2024
Serial Number: 0a3787645e5fb48c224efd1bed140c3c
Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: Baltimore CyberTrust Root

That’s the proxy certificate. I was talking about your server certificate. It might be best to pause Cloudflare for now (Overview screen, bottom right) and make sure the site loads fine on HTTPS without Cloudflare, and only unpause once that works.

Are you still seeing it is broken? If so i will get onto them to fix.

Thank you, will do

That is now done, and it works while cloudflare is in pause mode.

Yes, the certificate should be in place now and if you unpause Cloudflare it should work fine, just make sure your encryption mode is “Full strict” and that you renew the server certificate when it’s necessary (expires next in July).

1 Like