Confused about custom domain support

I have a site where users can point their own domain to mine and I plan on using Cloudflare.

From my current set up, all subdomains are pointed to their respective directories.

If a user visits example.com, they are pointed to the usual example.com.

If a user visits *.example.com, they would be pointed to example.com/*.

However, users are able to use their own domain by creating an ALIAS record that points to example.com. My NGINX config files point those custom domains to the respective directories.

For example, someonesdomain.com points to example.com - and the NGINX virtual host points it to example.com/theirfolder.

If I change my Nameservers to Cloudflare’s, will that mess up the subdomains and custom domains.

From the DNS management page in the Cloudflare dashboard, they’ve imported all the exact records I’m using. Based on that, I’m assuming subdomains would work since there is an A Record with a ***** hostname.

However, what about the users that created ALIAS records for their custom domain pointing to example.com.

Would everything work correctly for them?

Side question: On the DNS management, it says my ***** A Record to handle the subdomains exposes the IP address behind example.com. Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks for your time!

I can’t find the edit button, but to clarify:

For the text that says *****, it means the hostname for that record is a single asterisk

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.