Configuring DNS. Domain registrar: Cloudflare. Host: AccuWebhost shared IP

This is my first time trying to publish a website. I have my domain registered with Cloudflare but am using AccuWebHost as my web host. I can’t figure out how to configure my DNS settings. I don’t have any DNS settings hosted in AccuWebHost, I was going to use Cloudflare for that. I have a shared IP address at AccuWebHost. I added two A records to Cloudflare, using @ for one of the names and www for the other name, both with the IPv4 address provided by AccuWebHost. Since that’s a shared IP address I am sure I have to add something else to ensure traffic goes to my actual site. I’ve spent a lot of time over the last few days reading articles and forums and watching videos but each seems to be either too broad to be helpful or specific to certain situations that don’t seem to work for my exact predicament.

For websites, you don’t need to do anything else. When you request www.example.com in your browser, the connection is made to the server which is told to send the data for www.example.com. Millions of sites can be requested through a single IP address.

Is it working? If not, what is the site?

1 Like

I can’t understand how traffic could be directed to my site if the only thing attached to my domain name is a shared IP address. I don’t think the web host has any way of knowing what my domain name is.

The only things I have done are register a domain name, buy a hosting plan, and add the 2 A records in DNS.

Either way, its not working. My domain is sarealwellness.com.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

As I said, your browser passes the name of the site when requesting it from the server. You don’t need to do anything.

As for your site, it is working ok for me. What problem do you see?

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. I guess I shouldn’t have assumed. I’ll try to do something with the site (right now it’s just whatever popped up as a default) and then worry about the DNS configuration if it doesn’t work.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.