Compliance for people with disabilities - WAVE, ADA, WCAG - JanJam

I’m concerned about Cloudflare’s accessibility compliance. Cloudflare often works by presenting intervening challenge pages to a user, most involving a captcha. There’s been some discussion in these forums about the captchas’ usability for people with visual disabilities, but nothing about the general display of pages.

This came up because I was running some basic accessibility audits with the WAVE tool, and Cloudflare’s email obfuscation fallback page started showing up in WAVE compliance reports.

Here’s a sample of the Cloudflare page as it appears on any Cloudflare-protected site: Email Protection | Cloudflare

Here’s how it fails some basic compliance criteria for display: WAVE Report

I can find no official accessibility statement from Cloudflare. Does anyone know if something like this exists?

2 Likes

Tag this Post Title with JanJam and someone will probably get back to you on this.

[quote=“sdayman, post:2, topic:240172”]JanJam[/quote] Thanks. I will do that.

Ahem… I hope you’re not just messing with me, though “JanJam” is the name of a Zimbabwean clothing outlet!

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if @cloonan knew this. But, seriously, Cloudflare staff will be combing through posts to provide a ton of assistance.

2 Likes

I did not, but now I do, must be great minds thinking alike…:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Not sure where this is leading.

Hi techteam! Thanks for flagging this accessibility issue. It’s important to me, as a member of the Cloudflare design team, that we try to make our products usable by all folks. If you notice other accessibility issues, please let us know.

7 Likes

Okay. I’m glad you’re receptive!

Here’s a screenshot of your default challenge page, showing several WAVE alerts and errors:

In order to locally debug Cloudflare’s many interrupting pages, you really need to install your own WAVE browser extension. It’s freely available here: https://wave.webaim.org/extension/

My site actually uses custom pages, and there are some issues even with Cloudflare’s small, fixed snippets for those. See the error and alert here:

CloudflareCustomChallengePageInWAVE

3 Likes

Thanks! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Oh yes. And thank-you for bringing up this issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.